Disgraceful customer disservice

coathanger007

Tomorrow Tweaking Today
I am shocked by the customer disservice I have received in PC stores everywhere.
Recently, Landmark computers shopkeeper ripped me off by swapping my faulty Western Digital HDD with 8MB cache with one with only 2MB cache (refurbished). Dodgy Indian smoothtalker tried to give me a IBM deskstar (deathstar).Also tried to overcharge me $50 Aussie until I showed him the advert and he went silent. There's just no such thing as good customer support these days.
I've also had warranty issues with PCworld - they made me buy a replacement drive in advance then after 3 months had passed refused to give me a refund using all sorts of evasive tactics. The branch closed shortly after! The worst store from my experience was Infinity computers (Infinity of problems). So angry I wrote to Aussie papers (top opinion):

Penny Wise, Pound Foolish – An Extended Account

Ever pondered whether paying a premium to a well-established big-name company for guaranteed, trouble-free service and peace of mind was worthwhile? It is most unfortunate that this question is promptly resolved upon the full impact of customer disservice being experienced.

The price paid for a PC at Infinity Computers is considerably below that offered by big-name competitors. However, the hassles suffered consequentially are priceless. From day 1, Infinity Computers attempted short-changing me by providing a 2 rather than 4.1 speaker system and it took several phone calls and a subsequent visit to collect an Office suite which was part of the advertised package. Infinity Computers had also given a stick of generic RAM instead of the advertised Kingston RAM pointlessly arguing that the generic RAM was of superior quality. In fact, the generic RAM caused numerous irrecoverable CD burning errors on my overclocked system in stark contrast to the stable performance of Kingston RAM. I was left with an oversupply of CD coasters. Infinity Computers replaced the RAM but in order for me to have discovered the product discrepancy, I had opened the case by breaking the seal and therefore technically voided my 3 year warranty which was the sole reason for my full system purchase in the first place! A classic catch 22 situation.

The PC crashed on a regular basis. Infinity Computers advised that the Windows Operating System was not designed for multi-tasking (I suppose the Earth is flat as well). Lo and behold, the system lacked a system fan, the installation of which resolved this issue. The PC also refused to shut down, persisting in continual reboots. I paid (quite literally), the store a third visit to diagnose the problem only to depart $25 out of pocket, fuming after an hour long dispute with the PC in a non–bootable state. Infinity Computers had convinced themselves that the PC had already been in a non-booting state before they employed their troubleshooting (causing) expertise and even had the cheek to request I pay a further $80 to have the system restored to its previous bootable state. It was their word against mine. Long forgotten is the fundamental sales/marketing principle of the customer having right of way. It turned out that the OS could not be loaded because the technician’s 14” monitor simply could not handle the 1280x1024 resolution. Through self-diagnosis, I discovered the cause of the problematic repetitive reboots was in fact a faulty multimedia keyboard and the re-installation of the OS which was advised by the self-professed all-knowing Infinity Computers Technicians was a needless, tedious waste of time and effort.

A few days ago, I returned to the store for a fifth or sixth visit (I had lost count by this point). The system was unable to start up after powering down abruptly. Infinity Computers laid blame on a corrupt Windows OS … again. This seems to be their all-in-one explanation for any PC problem whether hardware or software. Infinity Computers never seems to learn. Again, the technician’s technological dinosaur of a monitor could not handle the standard 1280x1024 resolution which prevented Windows from loading. Aren’t technicians supposed to be esteemed I.T. professionals who we can lean on when all else fails? After all, ultimately it is their livelihoods at stake.

To cut this excruciating story short, there is no such thing as a free lunch (or free trouble-free service as the case may be). Beware the hidden cost behind the advertised cost.

WARNING: IF YOU KNOW ANYONE CONTEMPLATING A NEW PC SYSTEM PURCHASE, STRONGLY ADVISE THEM TO STEER CLEAR FROM INFINITY COMPUTERS AT ALL COSTS.

Problem extends to hassles with individual components. I know first hand from building my PIII 533 - that's another long story :)

Originally posted by Jewelzz
Build your own, saves you hassles

if jewelzz can do it... anyone can...

:cool:

but yah... computer stores suck basically... only go in there armed with the info you have from various sites...

try and steer clear of the biased/fan boi sites that have members with little technical knowhow but big mouths...

apples I personally dislike for their bogus ads (since the topic does have to do with spreading fud and uber b.s. which apple is immensly famous for) but they have good looking systems...

now only if more software was supported by apple and they did not require proprietary parts and cost so damn much :cool:

i build all my own machines after being ripped off.

I was supposed to get a 40 GB 8 MB cache hd, but i only got 40 GB 2 mb cache dirve.

And the cd-rw i got would overheat and then not work at all. So nowaday i build my own PC's, and be done with it.

I got ripped off in a store, and when i walk into any other PC stores i am always wary of what the people tell me. I know my facts.

One day this guy was telling this a customer that he really should go for the upgrade and have better performance and i walked up to them and asked the gentleman what he wanted:

A computer to use to connect to the internet and check my mail, websites of my son with pictures and play some solitaire.

So the guy at the store was trying to sell the following:

Pentium 4 at 1.8 Ghz
256 MB ram
80 GB hd
$700

No computer screen included

Now the upgrade would bring that to:

Pentium 4 at 2.5 Ghz
1 GB ram
180 GB hd

$1,000

No computer screen included

Now this is absurd, the man wants to check his email with his new DSL he is getting, he does not need a top notch box. Hell, he could have gone for the box that was standing next to that one, which i let him know would suffice just as well, one of those small emachines:

1.0 Ghz Pentium
256 MB ram
40 GB hd
Screen included
$500

He asked me what would make me want that machine when he could have the other, and i told him that what you want to do is so little, that machine can handle it just as well, as any of the other machines your looking at, yet you will save some money which you can spend on your grand kids. Or you can buy the super the lux computer, and not really use all that it is for. So the best choice would be the smaller PC, as it suffices for what you want done.

He bought the pc, and the guy that wanted to sell him, got REALLY pissed off with me, and called the manager, and had to explain to the manager what happened. The manager did not seem that pleased at first, but then i told him that its just wrong to rip non computer savy customers off, and have them buy a computer that is way to powerfull, and not use in a million years. He seemed to get this, and left the topic alone, but the guy that tried to sell the PC, was fired on the spot !!

Yeah, with commision based sales there's always that temptation to oversell. Pity those less knowledgeable easily fall into this trap :(

Originally posted by coathanger007
I am shocked by the customer disservice I have received in PC stores everywhere.
Recently, Landmark computers shopkeeper ripped me off by swapping my faulty Western Digital HDD with 8MB cache with one with only 2MB cache (refurbished). Dodgy Indian smoothtalker tried to give me a IBM deskstar (deathstar).Also tried to overcharge me $50 Aussie until I showed him the advert and he went silent. There's just no such thing as good customer support these days.
I've also had warranty issues with PCworld - they made me buy a replacement drive in advance then after 3 months had passed refused to give me a refund using all sorts of evasive tactics. The branch closed shortly after! The worst store from my experience was Infinity computers (Infinity of problems). So angry I wrote to Aussie papers (top opinion):

Penny Wise, Pound Foolish – An Extended Account

Ever pondered whether paying a premium to a well-established big-name company for guaranteed, trouble-free service and peace of mind was worthwhile? It is most unfortunate that this question is promptly resolved upon the full impact of customer disservice being experienced.

The price paid for a PC at Infinity Computers is considerably below that offered by big-name competitors. However, the hassles suffered consequentially are priceless. From day 1, Infinity Computers attempted short-changing me by providing a 2 rather than 4.1 speaker system and it took several phone calls and a subsequent visit to collect an Office suite which was part of the advertised package. Infinity Computers had also given a stick of generic RAM instead of the advertised Kingston RAM pointlessly arguing that the generic RAM was of superior quality. In fact, the generic RAM caused numerous irrecoverable CD burning errors on my overclocked system in stark contrast to the stable performance of Kingston RAM. I was left with an oversupply of CD coasters. Infinity Computers replaced the RAM but in order for me to have discovered the product discrepancy, I had opened the case by breaking the seal and therefore technically voided my 3 year warranty which was the sole reason for my full system purchase in the first place! A classic catch 22 situation.

The PC crashed on a regular basis. Infinity Computers advised that the Windows Operating System was not designed for multi-tasking (I suppose the Earth is flat as well). Lo and behold, the system lacked a system fan, the installation of which resolved this issue. The PC also refused to shut down, persisting in continual reboots. I paid (quite literally), the store a third visit to diagnose the problem only to depart $25 out of pocket, fuming after an hour long dispute with the PC in a non–bootable state. Infinity Computers had convinced themselves that the PC had already been in a non-booting state before they employed their troubleshooting (causing) expertise and even had the cheek to request I pay a further $80 to have the system restored to its previous bootable state. It was their word against mine. Long forgotten is the fundamental sales/marketing principle of the customer having right of way. It turned out that the OS could not be loaded because the technician’s 14” monitor simply could not handle the 1280x1024 resolution. Through self-diagnosis, I discovered the cause of the problematic repetitive reboots was in fact a faulty multimedia keyboard and the re-installation of the OS which was advised by the self-professed all-knowing Infinity Computers Technicians was a needless, tedious waste of time and effort.

A few days ago, I returned to the store for a fifth or sixth visit (I had lost count by this point). The system was unable to start up after powering down abruptly. Infinity Computers laid blame on a corrupt Windows OS … again. This seems to be their all-in-one explanation for any PC problem whether hardware or software. Infinity Computers never seems to learn. Again, the technician’s technological dinosaur of a monitor could not handle the standard 1280x1024 resolution which prevented Windows from loading. Aren’t technicians supposed to be esteemed I.T. professionals who we can lean on when all else fails? After all, ultimately it is their livelihoods at stake.

To cut this excruciating story short, there is no such thing as a free lunch (or free trouble-free service as the case may be). Beware the hidden cost behind the advertised cost.

WARNING: IF YOU KNOW ANYONE CONTEMPLATING A NEW PC SYSTEM PURCHASE, STRONGLY ADVISE THEM TO STEER CLEAR FROM INFINITY COMPUTERS AT ALL COSTS.

Maybe all that illegal software, movie files and music you stole buggered up your system.

(What goes around comes around)

What on Earth are you mumbling about. When a PC is first set up the only software is the OS - Windows XP Pro which was fully legal. Have you got a problem with your eyes? READ THIS - I don't support illegal software!!! I've clearly stated this on my website and in other forum posts too. If freeware authors choose to release their software freely for public use, I'm not complaining and I don't see why you should either.

I went over to the UK last month and bought a new PC from Comet in Canterbury.

I had done my research and was happy with the package I wanted, thank God, the sales person, could have been a milkman and would have done a better job.

Only negative side after all that research, was they had no 17" monitor and he told me there was 7 in MARGATE, I could buy the package minus the 15" monitor and drive to Margate and get it there, or wait until wednesday for a delivery.

This was Sunday and I was leaving early Tuesday Morning, three girls shopping, no chance.

Box movers thats all they are, I have a long memory Comet

:rolleyes:

I have been to PCWorld shops all over the UK, and so far I have only met one intelligent person in there, and he recommended the HP Deskjet 940C Printer to me over the newer HP printers cause it printed better and was of a better build quality, he was right, its a lovely printer and I am well pleased with it. So barring that one singular person, all the people in PCWorld that I have met are drones.

Well most of us here are in the minority, most people can't really make informed decisions on what computer they should buy.

I've built my last two computers on my own. Unfortunately, in both instances, I inevitably run into minor problems with any of my new system. My first built computer was too advanced for the OS I had, so I solved the problem by buying Windows 2000, and the second computer I built had a defective fan...which considering how these newer contraptions have a dozen fans in them, it is difficult to figure out which one is what, at times. It turned out to be the video card (after I replaced the heatsink & fan with a better one), which I successfully and without problems RMA'd back to NewEgg.

Anyhow, to cut my rambling short, I agree that building your own computer is the only way to go these days. These pre-built systems come with overpriced hardware for what you get. Newer computers, thankfully, are getting far easier to build than they used to be.

Melon

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back