Disconnecting

Tricky2050

OSNN Junior Addict
Another problem with my router to add to a LONG list.
Ever since i set up a LAN with my Linksys BEFSR41 v4 I have been had a problem with maintaining a constant connection to the internet. Every 10-20 mins the internet disconnects for a few seconds making downloading files over 5mb is an absolute nightmare. The message " a network cable has been disconnected" flashes up for a few seconds and any pages loading or downloads stop. After a minute the connection is back to normal. There is no problem with the cables as I was previously able to use the internet without disconnection when I was connected directly to the modem. I have tried usual turning off and resetting modem and router with no success. Any help again is greatly appreciated.

Are you using any encryption or authentication?

Another problem with my router to add to a LONG list.
Ever since i set up a LAN with my Linksys BEFSR41 v4 I have been had a problem with maintaining a constant connection to the internet. Every 10-20 mins the internet disconnects for a few seconds making downloading files over 5mb is an absolute nightmare. The message " a network cable has been disconnected" flashes up for a few seconds and any pages loading or downloads stop. After a minute the connection is back to normal. There is no problem with the cables as I was previously able to use the internet without disconnection when I was connected directly to the modem. I have tried usual turning off and resetting modem and router with no success. Any help again is greatly appreciated.

Check for a firmware update I am pretty sure that is the problem.

Did you set up anything on the router in order to start using it, or did you just plug it in and go?

Also, do a firmware update as Shamus suggested. Remember to do it over a wired connection though.

If all else fails, grab some tacos.

Firmware updated and problem is still there :cry: and yes setup was just plug in and go. Also there are a lack of tacos in the UK.

tricky try this, unplug your router power and network cable. and leave the router unplugged for 30 mins, then plug it back in, first with the network cable then the power cable, simply plug it back into your pc and see if you are still having issues, if so it is probably your isp.... make sure your connection isn't on a timeout switch....

I think the problem is fixed. As of now everything appears to be running smooth. I changed the settings so that both pc and mac were using 10 mbps full duplex. Thanks for the help

It would appear that my last reply was a lie. The pc is still disconnecting. I have tried resetting modem by leaving it off for over 30 mins and still it disconnects. Also something I neglected to mention in the beginning is that there is a pc and mac connected to the router abd both suffer the problem. Arg its damn frustrating. Any more ideas?

Have you tried connection without router?

Plug straight from modem to PC and see what happens.

Yeh pc to modem direct there is no problems with connection at all. The problem only happens when connected to the router. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back