Disappearing Hard Drives

F

FoMoCo1

As I turn on my PC it doesn't recognize my 2nd HD.

I have to go into Bios setup to boot config and "restore defaults". Then, restart in safe mode. Still not there. after another reboot(normal) it will be there like nothing happened.

My PC manufacturer says it is a windows problem and I should reinstall windows. Before I do that I thought I should querry here first.

80G
30G
24/10/40 cdrw

I would make sure that the jumpers are set correctly and they are plugged into the corresponding connector on the IDE cable.

Master = end of cable
Slave = middle of cable

Set jumper as slave or cable select? as I have another hd on IDE 2 which is set as slave.

I think I can, I think I can...
I didn't think that there was that much difference between slave and cable select, but It seems to have straightened it out for now.

I have found in the past that some drives (usually if you have 2 different manufacturer's drives on the same chain) require you to set them as slave or master. Sometimes they don't like to work on "cable select" Glad to hear it worked for you.

Originally posted by FoMoCo1
I think I can, I think I can...
I didn't think that there was that much difference between slave and cable select, but It seems to have straightened it out for now.
So much for the advise you got from the manufacturer. :rolleyes:

Its funny, because M$ would of told you it was hardware :)

I never use CS, just because it doesn't seem to always work, but setting the jumpers correctly and placing them in the right position on the cable does.

After only using a computer for about 2 years, this website has been the most help.
I will definately recommend it to all my friends.
Thanx people :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back