Disappearing Hard Drive

wessleym

OSNN Addict
I've recently noticed that my secondary hard drive will disappear and then reappear (usually after a restart) from My Computer. When I've checked the BIOS, sometimes it shows up in hard drives and sometimes it doesn't. I think these are the warning signs of a failing drive, but I was wondering if anybody else knew anything. Thanks.

Could be failing HD or even a bad IDE cable perhaps. Is there another device on the same IDE channel, if so any problems with it?

I have two hard drives on the same IDE cable, if that's what you mean. Does that mean they're on the same channel? Only my backup drive is failing, not my primary drive. I think that would discount any problem with the cable, but is it possible that the power cable to the drive could be messed up?

wessleym said:
I have two hard drives on the same IDE cable, if that's what you mean. Does that mean they're on the same channel? Only my backup drive is failing, not my primary drive. I think that would discount any problem with the cable, but is it possible that the power cable to the drive could be messed up?
If they are on the same cable then yes they share a channel. :) If only one of them is having an issue I would assume its that one HD. You could try switch power connectors and see what happens though.

Well, I'm not having the problem anymore, so I can't really test much. I'll post again if I have a problem. Thanks, Xie.

I would make a backup just in case. :) Then you have it if it just up and fails.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back