disapering CDROMS DVD & CDRW

• Thread starter SlySpinglefinge
  • Start date
S

SlySpinglefinge

Hey what happened! I installed roxio's EZCD 5.1 platinum
with no luck now i have lost my 2 cd drives from the system!
in the hadware manager it says there is a problem with the drivers for both drives, but when I try to reinstall the drivers or even roll back the drivers it says I already have the most current drivers! (What the heck!) or there is no driver to fall back on! Sigh :( .... Even removing the software has not helped.. I even Re-installed XP ! no suck luck! and yes I tried removing the drives and reinstalling them and still no such luck, system restore had no effect either.. CRAP! what kind of OS looses the CDROMS ???
I havent tried hacking the registry to see if the prob is there yet, but hacking it may cause more trouble than its worth... This is the first major problem that my system has ever had that has stumped me! (yes my antivirus is up to date) the BIOS can see and will boot from a CD if I let it but what happened to XP?

hrmmm, checked the Roxio Website to see if there is a patch there to fix this?

Lost cd-roms

Did you install Roxio 5.1 Platinum with the XP update? You are supposed to install Roxio, not let it re-boot, then install the XP patch. I would think that re-installing XP would take care of it unless you didn't reformat your drive first (otherwise XP keeps the registry from the last install).

One of the Roxio 5.1 patches is to be put on only if you lose your CD-rom drives or burners. Check at www.roxio.com. If this patch does not fix the problem, you may have to re-format and do XP again.

Hey I know how u feel cause thats what happened to my cd-rw drive. It wasnt opening and comp cant idetify it now I solved my problems:) I just called up my computer techsupport and ask them to replace the cd-drive and they will come here in a week and get it replace plus they probably might send a comp technician to come over your house and install it for you! So call up your comp techsupport NOW!:D

Try this for disappearing CD Roms

Similar thing happened to me. This is how I got it back.
Go to start\control panel\Administrative Tools\Computer Management\Disk Management.
From here have a look around & you should see your CD Rom but it will not have a drive letter associated with it. It might say '0'.
Right click on the cd rom & assign it the letter that it was previously before losing it.

I have to agree with Lonman.. since I got rid of Roxio and went to Nero I have had no problems...

Nero

Yeah gotta say NERO all the way never had any trouble and does all I need it to do ..................

I would say Nero as well. CloneCD as well for some fast CD copying. Also ability to copy Games CDs so I can use them on my hard drive then use Daemon Tools to use the image as it were a CD. Much faster for some games.

Well FUDGE! After great sweat and numb fingers from punching in xp's reg code I broke down and reformated and clean installed. Bugga! what a mess I made of my system! I must say THANKS for every one that replied, I tried every trick you all gave and to no avail nothing worked.... I think something was crossed in the versions of roxio (I had ver 5.0 and it worked half assed but the RW's had probs it kept thinking they were just CDR's... go Figure) so them i Got Ver 5.1 platinum and it still had probs...so remove it all and a buddy from work said try nero so he gave me a copy to try and see if it would work. Well...... Not really! I think with all of the installs and un-installs they got mixed up into driver SOUP!

Well FUDGE! After great sweat and numb fingers from punching in xp's reg code I broke down and reformated and clean installed. Bugga! what a mess I made of my system! I must say THANKS for every one that replied, I tried every trick you all gave and to no avail nothing worked.... I think something was crossed in the versions of roxio (I had ver 5.0 and it worked half assed but the RW's had probs it kept thinking they were just CDR's... go Figure) so them i Got Ver 5.1 platinum and it still had probs...so remove it all and a buddy from work said try nero so he gave me a copy to try and see if it would work. Well...... Not really! I think with all of the installs and un-installs they got mixed up into driver SOUP!

Just another question can I install both nero and roxio at the same time or will they conflict with each other?

You might try a registry search for "Upper Filters' and "Lower Filters" and delete both keys if they are there. There's an MS Knowledge Base article on this but I don't have the number.

Originally posted by SlySpinglefinge
Just another question can I install both nero and roxio at the same time or will they conflict with each other?
You can but nero will give you a warning not to do it. Something to do with direct cd.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back