Disabling Windows File Protection on an existing install?

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys,

I want to disable the Windows File Protection from my current install of Windows XP. I think that in my process of creating my unattended install disks, I wound up changing something that now makes Windows File Protection come up when I first turn on my computer. As I am not too worried about viruses... I would like to go ahead and disable WFP.

I have seen one guide that can accomplish this, however it involved me opening a file with a hex editor, looking for a certain offset [I think it's called], and editing a line... The thing about that though was that they said if you can't find it, then don't continue any further... and I couldn't find it. Are there any other ways to disable WFP? I have removed it from the registry, but that also goes in hand with doing the hex editing on a DLL file... :/

Enyo

OSNN Veteran Addict
Under:

'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon'

Add REG DWORD 'SFCDisable' and set to 'ffffff9d' to disable WFP.

I know some guides tell you to edit SFC_OS1.DLL but ive seen no need to do that.

Does setting the above not disable it for you?

You can disable the boot time prompting also:

'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon'

Add REG DWORD 'SFCScan' and set to '0'

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Yes, I have previously gone through and added that registry tweak, however in the guide I was reading they stated to add the registry tweak after editing that DLL file... so far it doesn't work, WFP comes up when I turn on my computer.

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Does anyone else have any ideas on this matter? I really want to get rid of this WFP thing, but I can't find out how to do it. :(

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaitlitings