Disable Vista permissions (totally)

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
I am having a very bad start to my day.

i had tolerated all the permissions prompting in Vista

NO MORE WILL I!

Thunderbird has borked and the permissions issues are doing my head in.

My account is admin already, I do not want any advice about running as admin.... I want to disable all permissions prompting.

there may be ownership issues also in this case, and they will also do my head in.

I have searched threads - there are plenty saying it is easily done - but I did not find the thread that says how - so this thread should be worthwhile and I do not feel bad asking.

I could not even stomach thinking about the apple video thread that turned up on search. Please no dis remarks to Tbird either...

JUST tell me how to turn it off - all of it - this is a personal PC and I insist to own it!

HAH! bad day continues - that made things WORSE! Now I get a little pop up telling me the WinDriver virtual device install has been disabled by policy! Leaving that matter to one side - Thunderbird borkage continues, it keeps trying to autouprgade and access to delete a file is denied. So onwards and upwards - now I am forced to search threads for ownership in Vista (or you can tag on here if you like).

PS I tried system restore already, Tbird upgrade has worked in a way that this does not help. Also tried uninstall Tbird and that is a fail too!

my day just got a whole lot worse :( :mad: and got to sign on now...#

before I go - since you are making my day - I have a Vista upgrade from XP disc - will that do it?

And can you be more specific, you mean reformat and reinstall Vista, right? Not repair installation (does that still exist with Vista?) I assume I have full license from upgrade, so hopefully disc could be shipped at carriage cost only IF that has to happen and IF I am forced to your drastic solution!

I was going to rep you for the post you deleted!

For benefit of others who may come to this thread - in MSCONFIG there is UAC and you may disable it....

I'll find something else to rep you for Carpo - get :cool:

Last edited:
Winbubble has a good tweak for that, also, there are many "right click to take ownership" registry tweaks out there.

Winbubble worked the best for me.

msconfig was quicker though - will look into winbubble - sounds cool for future use - repped

yeah, lol, i was gonna say what lord did

not that tricky =)

If you are having to turn off UAC then you are not running under the REAL admin account as under that account UAC is mute.

If you are having to turn off UAC then you are not running under the REAL admin account as under that account UAC is mute.

That doesn't make any sense. Or maybe I read this wrong? Is is disabled under Admin or grayed out under Admin?

if you login as Administrator - it is not present at all, nor can you turn it on. There is no point.

That doesn't make any sense. Or maybe I read this wrong? Is is disabled under Admin or grayed out under Admin?
what he's saying is "the administrator" is a differant account then "an administrator", any user can be "an administrator" but there is only one "administrator", in home xp you could only access this account in safe mode, I haven't had the need to use it so I don't know how it's accessed in vista

UAC is a pain in the butt. I only found the need for it if you are running multiple user accounts on the same pc; at which you have to have it turned on. Other than that, I turn it off.

First thing I do is enable the admin account (before installing programs) then delete the account that was made during setup.

No virtualization of folders or registry entries and no UAC (or run as admin) when running on the admin account.

For Windows Vista Ultimate /Business/ Enterprise versions :

Click on Windows Vista Start, and type in “secpol.msc” in the search area and click Enter. (You may receive a prompt from UAC,(User Account Control) approve/login and proceed)

In the left list, choose “Local Policies“, then “Security Options“

Set “Accounts: Administrator account status” to Enabled.

Set “User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account” to Disabled.

For Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium versions:

Click on Windows Vista Start, and type in “cmd” in the search area, right click on “Command Prompt” and select ‘Run as Administrator” option from the opened context menu.

In the opened elevated command prompt type in “net users Administrator /active:yes” (Note the capital “A” in Administrator) and press Enter, you will get a confirmation as “The command completed successfully”.

Click on Windows Vista Start again, and type in “regedit” in the search area and click Enter to open the Windows Vista registry editor.Then navigate to the following Windows Vista registry key:[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]

Double click on “FilterAdministratorToken” and set it to “0“

Log off the computer and when you return to the login screen you will see the administrator account. Login with admin account then rename the account if you want to.

what he's saying is "the administrator" is a differant account then "an administrator", any user can be "an administrator" but there is only one "administrator", in home xp you could only access this account in safe mode, I haven't had the need to use it so I don't know how it's accessed in vista

Now things are clear. Thank You.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back