disable f7 key

_kC_

OSNN Senior Addict
hi, i have a laptop where the f7 key is stuck.

its a sony vaio and instead of buying a new keyboard for it, i was wondering how to disable the F& key altogether (i rarely ever used the f7 key anyway)
.. ive been searching google, and looked on microsofts site about scancode mappings, but cant find out how to do it.

anyone know the easiest way?

thanks

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political User
I rarely use any of the f keys myself. However, there is really no way you can disable it.

Mastershakes

OSNN Veteran Addict
It's a program that runs at startup. Figure out what it is, and delete the entry. Reboot. ALL your 'soft keys' will be disabled.

Perris Calderon

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
hi, i have a laptop where the f7 key is stuck.

its a sony vaio and instead of buying a new keyboard for it, i was wondering how to disable the F& key altogether (i rarely ever used the f7 key anyway)
.. ive been searching google, and looked on microsofts site about scancode mappings, but cant find out how to do it.

anyone know the easiest way?

thanks
try to assign the key to an app that doesn't run again once it's already running...use an app that you have running on start up

to assign the key the app shortcut has to be on the desktop

right click, go into the shortcut box and hit your f7 key

also, you can use one of those portable roll up keyboards and disable the native keyboard

I would think there's a registry entry for f7 though, I would also think there's a gpedit thingy to configure

since this free app can disable the key I would think you can do it through the registry

Last edited:

_kC_

OSNN Senior Addict
thanks for the info, the guy has decided on a new keyboard instead, shipped to sony tomorrow, as they dont supply the parts, only ones i can find stocked is spares on ebay

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amanda99