Disable Advanced Text Services via policy?

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political Access
Looking for a way to either not install handwriting and speech recognition wiht my new xp builds or at elast disable advanced text services, anyone got ideas?

Additionally, would also like to stop newsly installed applications from being highlighted, but I haven't even started to search for that one just yet :)

I know how to do the second option within Windows:

Click Start, right-click at the top of the Start menu where your name is displayed, and then click Properties.
In the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties dialog box, on the Start Menu tab, click Customize.
Click the Advanced tab, and then clear the Highlight newly installed programs check box.
Click OK, and then click OK again.

I can play with stuff more in the AM, need sleep :eek:

EDIT: Could maybe take a sample of the registry, apply that change, and then take another sample, run a compare and extract the changed values. Push out those entries over the network.

Yeah I am doing an unattended XP build - start to finish fully installed with a single F12 keypress and a confirmation of which build to install.

Closest I can do is this

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
;This will remove the advanced tech services.
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] "ctfmon.exe"=-
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\CTF] "Disable Thread Input Manager"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\CTF\MSUTB] "ShowDeskBand"=dword:00000000

Hoping if I do it as local administrator, for the brief automatic logon, it will be applied to the default profile.
Will test and see :)

If you are using XP with SP2, the local administrator profile gets copied to the default user profile. I ran into this awhile back when I had dropped something in the login area for the administrator profile as a run once. After I logged on for the first time, it ran but copied to all users. Was really quite confusing for awhile ;)

This is the KB article describing what I am babbling about:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887816

I have the hotfix somewhere if you are interested, but I'd have to dig it up.

cmdlines.txt

Code:
[COMMANDS]
"RunOnceEx.cmd"

RunOnceEx.cmd

Code:
@echo off

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Finalize Windows" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D "Remove CTFMON.EXE" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\remctfmon.reg" /f

EXIT

During Windows Setup the cmdlines.txt will run, which calls the command to run RunOnceEx.cmd which will add itself to the registry to run after an Administrator logs in.

So after Windows installs just have login and it will run the RunOnce. You can add programs to install to this script as well. i.e.

Code:
REG ADD %KEY%\020 /VE /D "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\020 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\dotnetfx11\netfx.msi /qn" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\030 /VE /D "Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\030 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\dotnetfx20\install.exe /qn" /f

What you want to do is create an $OEM$ folder on your install CD. Then create a $1 folder within $OEM$ and create folders inside that folder, such as "install" and "drivers". These folders will be copied to C:\ during Windows Setup.

You can also create a folder called $$ and folders/files within this folder will be copied to the WINDOWS directory, i.e. $$\system32\ will copy files to the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder (I use this to copy the oeminfo.ini and oemlogo.bmp).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back