Disable Active Desktop

R

russ

OK, I give up! How do I disable the active desktop? I have a utility to change icon text color but it will not function while the desktop is active.

Russ,

I think you need to right click anywhere on your desktop then;
properties>desktop>customize desktop>web> then delete the item in the list, not "My Current Home Page."

I think that should do it..

Customize desktop only gives me a general tab to change icons for my computer, recycle bin etc and a checkbox to clean the desktop. Theres no tab for web.

Originally posted by rodneyck
Russ,

I think you need to right click anywhere on your desktop then;
properties>desktop>customize desktop>web> then delete the item in the list, not "My Current Home Page."

I think that should do it..
Isn't it right click on the taskbar?

No. Right clicking the taskbar did not help either. That only provided options for the task bar itself or start menu.

I beleive that rodneyck is correct in the post before.

Make sure nothing in there is checked.

Again, I tried right clicking the desktop > properties > customize and all I get is a general tab to show desktop icons (My computer, recylce, my documents), change the icon or clean the desktop every 30 days. There is no web tab, no web content or anything to uncheck. I did do some tweaking in the admin tools (services) a few weeks ago - could that have removed a tab that should be there?

Oh, I should have read more carefuly. That is odd. I don't have an answer for you but, someone here will.

This MS article was for WIN 98 but it appears to the same type of problem for XP. Anyway, I opened TweakUI but the entry - Click the Internet Explorer 4 tab, click the Active Desktop Enabled check box to select it, and then click OK - was not there.

It appears I may have to make a manual registry entry to correct this. Any idea where I look and what settings I use?

Start / Run / Regedit
Navigat to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
Look for (or create) the DWord Value: NoActiveDesktop
Settings: 0 = disable restriction, 1 = enable restriction

I located it. but before I add a DWord value, there already is an entry for NoActiveDesktop REG_Binary 01 00 00 00. Should I try changing this to 00 00 00 00 or leave it as is and add NoActiveDestop REG_DWord 01 00 00 00? Remember my goal is to regain the Web tab in properties so I can enable or disable active desktop.

Yes we did. That post was made here shortly before I returned and received your suggestion.

People on this site might want to know how this was solved in case it happens to them.

Sorry - The registry entry I listed above is the correct solution.

I received two suggestions that were helpful

Enable or Disable Active Desktop

Go to Start > Run > Regedit
Navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
The value of one ENABLES the NO ACTIVE DESKTOP setting (which DISables active desktop).

or

You can do this on XP Pro with group policy
User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Desktop\Active Desktop folder. By default, active desktop is always on. I tried disabling it the group policy, but it did not produce the shortcut on the right click context menu. I have the web tab available either way.

Create a new DWORD value named "NoActiveDesktop
For user specific settings use:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersionPolicies\Explorer]

For computer specific settings use:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

Value Name: NoActiveDesktop
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = disable restriction, 1 = enable restriction

Here are the solutions I received:

Enable or Disable Active Desktop

Go to Start > Run > Regedit
Navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
The value of one ENABLES the NO ACTIVE DESKTOP setting (which DISables active desktop).

You can do this on XP Pro with group policy
User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Desktop\Active Desktop folder. By default, active desktop is always on. I tried disabling it the group policy, but it did not produce the shortcut on the right click context menu. I have the web tab available either way.

Create a new DWORD value named "NoActiveDesktop
For user specific settings use:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersionPolicies\Explorer]

For computer specific settings use:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

Value Name: NoActiveDesktop
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = disable restriction, 1 = enable restriction

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back