DirectX10 & Games

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
K well Vista = DirectX10 right?

I was checking settings within Guild Wars and it says its using DirectX9.

Does a game need to support it for it to be used, or is there something wrong?

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
Yes, the game has to support it. Halo 2 will be dx10, Crysis also should have dx10 shaders in use.

You can still play dx8 and 9 games in Vista without issues though (or you shouldn't have issues._

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
I wasn't saying I was having issues, or expected I was going too. I just thought for what ever reason that all games installed in Vista would be using 10. Good to know.

LordOfLA

Godlike!
best bet at the moment is to install the latest DX9 runtime on vista. It works (atleast 32bit) without issue. While DX10 will wrap dx9 calls some applications and games require dx9 files to be present.

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
Yeah no DX10 games out at the moment, but like anything else the hardware is backwards compatible so you can play DX9 games without problems :)

kop48

OSNN Addict
Crysis doesn't just 'should use shaders', Crysis IS DirectX 10! :p

Also, where a lot of games are failing because of no runtime existing probably has nothing to do with the fact that DX10 can't emulate DX9 and more that they are hard-coded to look for as specific DLL which doesn't exist.

Bman

OSNN Veteran Original
I can't wait to get my hands on some of these games. ARGGG PC GAMER YEAH!!

Dublex

Quazatron R6 droid
Just remember that you need certain DX9 files sometimes in various DX9 games even if you have DX10 installed.

I'm just carrying on the rolling gag :)

Brad

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
I heard that you need certain DX9 files sometimes in various DX9 games even if you have DX10 installed.

Dublex

Quazatron R6 droid
You do - lets see how long we can go before we drive LordOfLA completely Fruitloop :)

Brad

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
He's halfway there already!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osnnforumtime