• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Directx 9.0 question.

N

Nedreplan

Guest
#1
I have been thinking of installing Dx9.
So, before I do so I wonder if any of you have encountered any problems with it, like with games, sound and so on...

So, in other words is it worth it? What I mean is that, so far, there isn't that many games out there that make use of the new technology in Dx9.

Does it matter when it is installed?..before or after graphics & sound is installed....and so on...

Thanks :)
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#2
Originally posted by Nedreplan
I have been thinking of installing Dx9.
So, before I do so I wonder if any of you have encountered any problems with it, like with games, sound and so on...

So, in other words is it worth it? What I mean is that, so far, there isn't that many games out there that make use of the new technology in Dx9.

Does it matter when it is installed?..before or after graphics & sound is installed....and so on...

Thanks :)
am running dx9 with ai's catalyst 3.0a drivers and not a glitch...

at the moment there are NO games out there that make calls to dx9 shaders and what not... not even doom III will do this...

there are rumoyrs that dx2/halo for pc are going to have dx9 shader calls but I will wit and see...

I can't really tell if there is a performance boost or not but as is my card is cpu limited so I doubt I would notice...
 
#3
you can only use the full potential when you have a fully DX9 compliant videocard/soundcard and , like Sazar said, software. At this moment only (I believe) Unreal Tournament 2003 uses the new DX9 features.
 
N

Nedreplan

Guest
#4
I tested it and I ran into some texture mishmash when I played Stronghold..never did so when I had Dx8.1.

But then again..I used 40.72..maybe I should have tried 41.09..or 42.01-driver for the nVidia...:huh:
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#5
Originally posted by Glaanieboy
you can only use the full potential when you have a fully DX9 compliant videocard/soundcard and , like Sazar said, software. At this moment only (I believe) Unreal Tournament 2003 uses the new DX9 features.
you would think that but actually no...


unreal tourney 2k3 is actually one of the first games to support dx8/8.1 calls for its shaders and lighting and textures :)

there are NO games out there or probably in h1 of 2k3 that actually utilise the extra calls in dx9 for shading and stuff...

the only things out there that ARE dx9 are demoes released for ati r300 core based cards... and possibly some 3rd party small demoes and what not I have seen floating around... truly amazing rendering... but unlikely to really affect your gaming performance...
 
N

Nedreplan

Guest
#6
True...and I guess I will not see any major difference until I have a card that fully supports Dx9

nVidia Geforce FX will do that??
When are they supposed to hit the market, or are they out already??..Price?...
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#7
Originally posted by Nedreplan
True...and I guess I will not see any major difference until I have a card that fully supports Dx9

nVidia Geforce FX will do that??
When are they supposed to hit the market, or are they out already??..Price?...
if you want to truly nitpick... then some nvidia fans will say the 9700pro or other r300 based cards don't support dx9 fully... and ati fans will say the same about the nv3x lineup being introducted... namely the nv30 (gf FX) nv31 and nv34...

the only feature that has been mentioned as not being supported is in the nv30... displacement mapping... but they may do it in software v/s hardware for r300 cards... (makes little sense but then it would be easy to claim full compliance)...

the r300 may also use tihs 'technique' if it too is found lacking in some respects...
 
N

Nedreplan

Guest
#8
Hmm..This is a mess..:p

Sometimes I wonder who controls who when it comes to quality of the graphics??..Is it the manufacture of the chipset (nVidia or ATi)..is it the producers of the games and software...or is it the mighty MICROSOFT!! :D

Anyway..I think it goes too fast. I have not had my Ti4200 for such a long time..and it is outdated:(

I have heard that 9700 Pro supports Dx9. I would love to try it, if it wasn't so expensive. And another thing..ATi is much more difficult to get here than nVidia...I have only found one shop here that sell them..online..
Pity...my first card was ATi ..a Rage Pro 2X AGP, 4Mb :) Classic!!!
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#9
Originally posted by Nedreplan
Hmm..This is a mess..:p

Sometimes I wonder who controls who when it comes to quality of the graphics??..Is it the manufacture of the chipset (nVidia or ATi)..is it the producers of the games and software...or is it the mighty MICROSOFT!! :D

Anyway..I think it goes too fast. I have not had my Ti4200 for such a long time..and it is outdated:(

I have heard that 9700 Pro supports Dx9. I would love to try it, if it wasn't so expensive. And another thing..ATi is much more difficult to get here than nVidia...I have only found one shop here that sell them..online..
Pity...my first card was ATi ..a Rage Pro 2X AGP, 4Mb :) Classic!!!
your card is just fine :)

so what if you cna't play all the latest games @ max res.. you can still play them very well...

the directx standard is microsoft controlled... the guidelines they lay down are what ati/nvidia/matrox/sis and so on incorporate into their products...
 
N

Nedreplan

Guest
#10
"and on the 7th day...Microsoft ruled the world"...:p

Thanks..Yea, I am happy with my Ti4200..and it works fine.

Actually most of my games that I play only requires Dx7..so I still have not lived through Dx8 fully yet...

I am getting too old for this ... :blink: hehe ... or too slow...don't know which.....:confused:
 

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
61,962
Messages
673,240
Members
89,016
Latest member
timpage