Directx 10 cards

vivid_vibe

OSNN Senior Addict
If I want to purchase a Directx 10 card, but do not want to upgrade to Vista from XP, is that possible? I've been a little confused on this issue. I just don't want to have Vista, am I alone on this? Thanks for any information,

vivid

yes its possible. Vista is not as bad as people like to make out.

I generally find that those loudest about how "bad" vista is are also those that are more clueless about how computers work and such like :)

and they have poo machines, vista works fine on my old p4 3.4, my amd64 x2 and my intel quad boxe :)

Any newer video card will work fine with XP, it will just be a DirectX 9 card, but that is not a bad thing. I have an 8800GTX and I love it!!!

yes its possible. Vista is not as bad as people like to make out.

I generally find that those loudest about how "bad" vista is are also those that are more clueless about how computers work and such like :)

I agree. My only two gripes about Vista, though, would be a rather difficult bug to patch that affects Vista installations with more than 3 GB of RAM on certain nForce motherboards (KB929777). I honestly don't know how a non-power user would ever be able to figure out that one. The only other issue that pissed me off considerably was the hell of a hard time I had getting .NET Framework 3.5 to install, which turned out, for me, to be a general installer patch that's available, but wasn't thrown on Windows Update (KB929761). Again, I imagine a non-power user would have a hard time with that, but, at least this time around, I don't know many non-power users who would bother to install that. Vista SP1, I imagine, should rectify both issues automatically, though.

Other than that, my general advice would be not to try and install Vista on really old hardware. It never once crossed my mind to try and upgrade to Vista on my old AMD Athlon 2400+ computer, for instance. Not only do I imagine that it would run slow, but I also know that my wireless networking card and scanner were so old that they didn't have Vista drivers, and I was uninterested in buying new ones.

I'd say that Vista is about applying a little common sense. :)

If I want to purchase a Directx 10 card, but do not want to upgrade to Vista from XP, is that possible? I've been a little confused on this issue. I just don't want to have Vista, am I alone on this? Thanks for any information,

vivid

Yes, it's possible to use a newer DX10 card in XP. Since DX10 is Vista-only, however, it will only use DX9 in XP. I haven't heard anyone complain about that yet, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back