Direct X 9a

J

Jahya

On Monday I did a low level format and rewrote the MBR for my master drive (Maxtor 40gb Ultra ATA 100) to restore it to factory default. After I did the partitions w/ FDisk and converted the partitions to NTFS, I installed XP Pro w/ no problems. I did all of my usual post install (ASPI, SP1, Windows Update, etc.) and then went back to Windows Update to get DX9a. I did the install and rebooted then left to go take care of some errands. When I got back my monitor was completely black instead of the screensaver I had set to start after 45 mins. With a move of the mouse, the power to the monitor cut off then back on and I was on my desktop (instead of the welcome screen as it should have been). Just to make sure, I went to the control panel which took forever to actually open and selected the
power options, which also took forever to open. After I verified all power saving options were diabled I went to the display properties to make sure I had enabled the screensaver, once the display properties finally opened I clicked the screensaver tab and after a brief pause my computer rebooted. I tried again to get to the screensaver tab and again the computer rebooted.

Due to my lack of patience, I decided to forego any further troubleshooting efforts and just formatted the drive to start over. I installed XP, again with no problems, and once that was done I did my usual post install and everything was fine. Rather than installing DX9a, which I assumed must be the problem I installed a copy of DX9 that I had on my drive. It's now Thursday and I have installed most of my usual apps/games and got all my updates for firewall, antivirus, Windows, etc and as of when I left for work this morning it was running like a champ.

So, my question is: Has anyone else had simliar problems w/ DX9a, or did I most likely just get a bad install of it?

I visited Windows Update a couple of weeks ago and saw the update. I decided not to install it, and after reading your post, I'm glad I didn't. I haven't read any third-party info on this update yet, which is partly why I decided not to install it. I will search around and see if I can find something concerning issues with this update. Glad you got everything working though. :)

If you give this a go ( you'll be glad you did) all hassles like that will be a thing of the past. Takes some initial setting up but that's it.

I installed it. A friend had installed it and felt it helped in BF1942. It is supposed to correct a few things from 9. No problems at all. That said, mine was installed over the existing 9. That may not have a bearing, but with Windows who knows.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back