Dip switches on MOBO

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi guys,

I have a DFI Ca64sc Mobo with dip swithes on it (Frequency Ratio Settings, as per my owner's manual). The switches are set for my CPU (733mhz), what if I would change the setting for a faster CPU, what can happen? Is it recommended? Thanks in advance.

Heeter

Then you'd be doing what your avatar thingy says :p

Might have to get some extra cooling on it or put some extra voltage through it if your board allows. What kind of chip is it?

LOL on the avatar... Should be written"Wish I could" on the front.

My chipset is a VIA82C686A. Socket 370 CPU.

Thanks.

Heeter

Well, you would be overclocking if you did this, but I just read this review

It is not aimed at overclockers. The lack of provisions for voltage adjustments and great quantities of FSB settings keep this board from being a recommendation to any overclockers.

Of course, when overclocking isn't a concern, the CA64-SC shines. It is ideal for OEMs and VARs because overclocking is not a concern for them.

From http://www.sysopt.com/reviews/dfi-ca64-sc/

You could give it a go but I'm not sure how much luck you will have. Just increment the fsb in the smallest steps you can, and try and boot to windows. Test stability with prime95 -> http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm
Good luck - and watch those temperatures with something like mbm -> http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

jumpy

edit: found that you have a p3 in another thread, what bus does it use, 133 or 100mhz?

Thanks, Jumpy

For hanging with me. That was a good find for me to read.

I have 3 X 512meg RamPC133 sticks on the board.
I have cranked up the FSB to its max (140x 5.5), the girl won't boot any higher. My next question is: Try to boot to windows, how do I do this. If I understand you correctly, there is a different way to boot?

Thanks,

Heeter

My next question is: Try to boot to windows, how do I do this. If I understand you correctly, there is a different way to boot?

No, no other way to boot, he he, nevermind me. I'm just saying to boot normally. :) Sometimes when you put the fsb a touch too high, it will just post at the bios screen and not boot into windows.

Since you are getting over the rated specs of your ram as well, it could be your ram holding you back. Try 1 stick at a time, working your way through all the sticks, while trying a higher fsb. They might be identical brands etc, but you'll find variation in how they will perform.

Yeah Jumpy,

That is what is happening when I turn up the FSB to the next step, she hangs on the Bios screen. It is working really well and no difference was made when I removed a 512 and put in a 256PC133, so I will leave the 512 in. Thanks for the help.

Heeter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back