Digg Vs. Its Users

Petros

Thief IV
I think Digg lost any credibility it had before. Check out their front page...flooded with HD-DVD key submissions at the moment. This is an historic internet event, and it's pretty hilarious. HD-DVD wiki is now protected. It's gone from nerd fight to nerd war/apocalypse.

Attachments

• digg.gif
    digg.gif
    73.5 KB · Views: 96
I think Jay said they had to take all the submissions down. I wrote mine down ... assuming I ever figure out how to use it

I unsubscribed almost 6 months ago. Most of the good stuff gets filtered down to me anyway via other blogs so I stopped wasting time going through the rest of the garbage.

In a way I feel bad for them. Hopefully they come out stronger after this.

Looks like the war is over. They've taken down the site while the new blog soaks into the minds of its readers.

Kevin Rose said:
We had to decide whether to remove stories containing a single code based on a cease and desist declaration. We had to make a call, and in our desire to avoid a scenario where Digg would be interrupted or shut down, we decided to comply and remove the stories with the code. But now, after seeing hundreds of stories and reading thousands of comments, you’ve made it clear. You’d rather see Digg go down fighting than bow down to a bigger company. We hear you, and effective immediately we won’t delete stories or comments containing the code and will deal with whatever the consequences might be.
If we lose, then what the hell, at least we died trying.
Digg on,
Kevin

Well-spoken statement, and they need to choose their words carefully when they have millions of dollars on the line.

Yeah Wiki went mental. What does it mean with a 'key' anyway - I can't imagine most people would know what to do with it.

let the internet die... then we can all twiddle our thumbs.. lol :p

the key is old news... discovered some time mid-march. why the sudden backlash now?

The backlash resulted from Digg deleting the accounts of a couple of users that posted it. The user submitted a blog about how they got deleted and Digg got hosed.

And there are a lot of Digg users that fall way behind the times on their news...two month old stories seem to pop up quite a bit. Feb. 11th on Doom9 was apparently the earliest instance recorded, after doing some googling. Man that's old in internet news terms.

Last edited:
thread moved.. not really a joke/humor so it has been moved to the green room..

I would imagine anyone who knows what to do with the key, already has their hands on it (as noted, it's old news anyway), it's not really the big deal people are making it out to be, the real issue is that the "open" platform of Digg, isn't exactly as open as we previously believed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back