Different Workgroups on Different NICs

Unleashed

We Speak Geek
At work we have two workgroups -Contracts and then Wokrgroup for the rest of the company. For security reasons, Contracts is kept seperate, and connected to the internet. However, a user on that workgroup now needs access to the both workgroups, but is there a way to set each NIC (there are 2 in his machine) to have a different workgroup?

the workgroup isn't specified on the nic itself, its changed under system properties. Simplest solution would be two machines I guess?

Not really got alot of experience with workgroups at the moment, deal more with domains - or changing workgroups is just one reboot away.

you should be able to connect to both workgroups. With my home network I had towo workgroups up and running. All Pc's on the network could connect to them.

Let me get this straight. Are they 2 seperate LANs (which explains the 2 NIC cards) or one LAN with 2 Workgroups on it? It sounds like 2 seperate LANs.

Simplest way to access both is to set the machine up with 2 user logins. One on each Workgroup. Then make a shared data folder that both logins have access to.

Note: If anyone every bridges the two NIC cards on that machine your security system just went down the crapper.

Workgroups are not really anything, there is no seperation between them, just a way to organize the networked PC's. As long as they are both in the same subnet, they are accessible by anyone in the network. If they are two different domains, then that is different.

Workgroups allow you to restrict access to members of the workgroup. Each computer in the workgroup has a security database creating a peer to peer network. If each computer doesn't have the security set up for the workgroup access restrictions then it is meaningless.

A domain has a centralized account/security database controlled by system administrator.

The localized (verses centralized) security restriction is the whole point of a workgroup. Each computer should be set up to list the machines allowed.

Back to my original comment. I'm not real sure Unleashed told us how the system is really setup. Or if his company really understands what is going on...

LeeJend said:
Workgroups allow you to restrict access to members of the workgroup. Each computer in the workgroup has a security database creating a peer to peer network. If each computer doesn't have the security set up for the workgroup access restrictions then it is meaningless.

Actually it is user based, not workgroup based. E.g. \\pc1\user1 is allowed to access everything \\pc2\user1 is allowed to access, and denied access to everything \\pc2\user1 is restricted from. It has nothing to do with workgroups.

workgroups are specified by the operating system not by the nic, the mac address is different on each nic card though

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back