Difference between 801.11b and 801.11g

dreamworks

--== babyface ==--
Hi guys ..

Just wandering what are the difference between b and g? I heard there is also a right?? but if not mistaken its for army use or something like that? :rolleyes:

ming

OSNN Advanced
b=11mpbs g=54mbps
I've heard that g standard was used by military, but not anymore. Not too sure where that came from. :p

Henyman

Secret Goat Fetish
Political User
G as waayyyyy faster and genrally rocks for file transfers :D

Reg

eXperienced!
Glaanieboy said:
There is also g+, which is 100Mbits/s
Urr... that's 108Mb (twice the speed of G which is 54Mb).

Henyman

Secret Goat Fetish
Political User
is that what linksys ewtc call "super G" ?

Reg

eXperienced!
Yep. It works the same way D-Link's (and TI's) 22Mbit 802.11b worked. Basically it's a compression standard.

Tuffgong4

The Donger Need Food!!!!
Political User
they are types of Super G from just about every company they just call it something different but all can do 108MBps they are just 802.11g on crack!

Zedric

NTFS Guru
ming said:
I've heard that g standard was used by military, but not anymore. Not too sure where that came from. :p
You mean before it got to us? Not likely since it runs in the public 2.4 GHz spectrum... :)

delta4s

BLACK HAWK ALOFT
Zedric said:
You mean before it got to us? Not likely since it runs in the public 2.4 GHz spectrum... :)
AFAIK, the g standard is compatible with both 802.11a and 802.11b. To get 54 or 108 Mbps , it needs the 5-6 Ghz spectrum, which I think is reserved for the military in many countries.

Henyman

Secret Goat Fetish
Political User
wireless g at 54Mbps runs on the 2.4 Ghz spectrum ;)

Reg

eXperienced!
delta4s said:
AFAIK, the g standard is compatible with both 802.11a and 802.11b. To get 54 or 108 Mbps , it needs the 5-6 Ghz spectrum, which I think is reserved for the military in many countries.
The G standard is not compatible with the A standard. The G standard is only backward compatible with the B standard. You do not need 5-6 GHz to run at 54 or 108 Mb as 802.11G operates in the public 2.4 GHz range. 108Mb is achieved via compression, not by more throughput.

CHiLLaXen said:
a is like b but runs in the 5GHz spectrum
Actually, A is nothing like B. The purpose of A was to allow faster throughput. However, the problem that occured was that it has a shorter range. G, on the other hand, provided the speed and A but the range of B.

delta4s

BLACK HAWK ALOFT
hmmm, I didnt know that. I thought g was a standard that uses both the 2.4Ghz and th 5Ghz spectrum. Thanks for the heads up, Henyman and Reg.

Geffy

OSNN Veteran Addict
wireless 11g is 54Mbps and operates in the 2.4 GHz band, 11a is 108MBps and operates in the 5 GHz band

wireless 11b is 11MBps and in the 2.4GHz band as well

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

It might seem a no-brainer when you’re asked about the meal of fishes. But, you would really feel excited to know the food habits of different species. Before going deep into the in-depth information, you should know about the types of fishes according to their food habit. if you want to know about What do Fish Eat Please go this site. hardenshoes.com/what-do-fish-eat
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaynersmithjayne