diff approach to cooling.

scriptasylum,

You have a great idea, one I have also considered. Why couldn't we get a small airconditioner that is intended to sit in a window, rip it apart for parts, and make it work?

Thanks all,

I don't think frost will be an issue in my situation. I only want to bring the temp to around 40 to 50 F, not -40 to -50 F.

As to the gel stuff; I don't want to go that far. My wife already thinks I'm crazy when she saw the size of the heatsink I just put in (Volcano 7+), I can only image what she would think if I started pouring that gel stuff in my PC! :D

The big fan idea is not really ideal. I had to do that once or twice this summer and I didn't like it. Plus it's not a neat mod. :)

Condenstation in my case shouldn't be a problem either. Remember, condensation needs two things to happen: moisture and a difference in temperature. An AC unit dehumidifies by nature, and since the air will be a closed-loop, there shouldn't be much moisture at all. I do predict I'll have some moisture beads on the outside of the case itself since the whole interior will be cool compared to the outside temperature/humidty, but thats no big deal, my case is aluminum: won't rust. ;)

A window AC unit, even a small 5500btu one, is really too big. I'd basically have to have another PC case just to house the thing. Plus a window AC is meant to cool around 1,500 cubic feet, my case only has 1.5 cubic feet. That would be like putting a 130,000 horsepower motor in my Ford Countour.

A car AC uses the motor to run the compressor, not to mention that's really too big too. That's why I thought the assembly from a mini fridge would work better. The cooling space is about the same, and since it's meant to cool to about 30 degrees, it wouldn't have to work too hard at all to keep the PC to 40-50 degrees.

I'm still looking around to see if I can find an old mini-fridge to work with. I'll keep everyone posted.

Ya, but with a mini AC unit it rmoves themoisture and it has to go somewhere. Most central air conditions connect to a drain and window AC just dump it ouside. Its not alot of water but is eith has to go into a reservoir whch a swath to shut the unit off when if filles up or to a drain.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back