diff approach to cooling.

Vapochill doesn't have a air cooling system though. I want basically a mini air conditioner. Everything I've seen thus far has been specific chip coolers.

I understand what you want scripta...and it really sounds like a good idea...you want to lower your case temp by making the ambient temp inside the case cooler than the air around it, my recommendation to you would be to look into Car AC's and how they function...I'm sure you could find a way to make that work...

But also, as with what I've said before and others too on this thread, with lower temps, you will get higher humidity, and that will fry your system just like a bad hydro-cooling system...

dejav00: Thanks, I'll take a look at the car AC idea, that is probably way larger than what I'll need though.

I don't think humudity will be an issue because an AC inherently removes moisture through the condensation that forms on the fins and the whole inside of the case will be at the same temperature. Worst case: there may be some on the outside of the PC case: no big deal. May actually look neat :)

Ok, this thread is really old, but I think I've found the answer!

I was just browsing around Target one day in the automotive section when I noticed a small refrigerator designed for a car. Its just big enough for a few cans of soda and a few sandwiches, but its only about 12" x 6" x 6", and most of that is the refrigerated interior. The box says it will lower the temp to about 45 degress F lower than ambient. Even if my house is 85, itll keep a pc at least 50-55 degrees given the size compared to the refrigerator interior. It runs on either 12 volts (4.6amps...a bit high for a PC supply though) or 110v AC and costs $50.

Next paycheck, I'll pick one up, rip out the AC core, seal up my PC and give it a whirl as a closed-loop system. I'll post back here with results as soon as I get results.

i've got a total of 9 fans in my case, [including power supply and CPU fan]

the temp in there is about 25'c and my Cpu is about 30'c... pretty cool :cool:

Awww, crap!

I was gonna pick up one of those mini-fridge units, but I opened the box and took a look to make sure it was what I needed. It's not a real AC unit; it's just a peltier junction with the cold side directly attached to the inside metal shell. Well, unless I put a bunch of those peltier junctions together around the perimeter of some type of tube, it won't be enough to overcome the heating effects of all my devices. :(

I guess I'll just have to pick up one of those dorm-room size fridges. Those do have a real compressor-type cooling system, just kinda expensive just to rip it apart to use for one part. Oh, well, back to the drawing board.

Couldn't you purchase the one piece you need from a wholesaler?

Man you must be psychic.....I had exactly the same idea:)

The more fans I put (I have 5 plus 2 in the Enermax PSU) in the case, the more I think it is just useless (and noisy). Most cases are not designed to maintain possitive pressure. You really need to seal the interiors of the case and increase the airflow, positive air pressure!. That is, more intake fans(or a hughe powerful noisy one) less outake fans(or less powerful). All of your parts will benefit from the airflow pressure and the heatsinks will do their job well. A well designed case is the best way to go as a first step. Of course you can duct tape the old case, or better use some fish tank silicon!

Now for the A/C unit, which is in my opinion a brilliant idea: I don't think you will find it in the market. There are some portable "desk units" around, But those are big, and I am not really sure how they work. My idea for you is to go to a junkyard or garage sale and get an old AC unit or car A/C unit or a desk unit, rip it apart and then take it to someone that can build it (weld aluminum, saw, etc)....or do it yourself. Now that you got me enthused with the idea I'll check a couple of refrigeration stores and let you know.

cut a hole in the side of the case, and the put your AC unit right in there, i am planning this mod later in the future

stick it in a fridge u keep it cool and shut away the noise

hey not a bad idea.............

$25 for 20 liters of that thing...I thought he could make his own refrigeration system with a small pump or something....just a thought

I just took the side of my case off and put a fan next to it.. nice cheap and simple.. keeps my cpu about 20 degrees F cooler..

if you rig and AC unit to your case.. watch out for condensation.. don't want a fried MOBO

I once read of a guy who submerged his entire MOBO in flourinert (a non conductive liquid) and left all the things with moving parts (Hard drive cdrom etc) outside of the liquid.. then he ran a fish pump to cycle the floruinert in a tub of dry ice i believe it was i could be wrong.. anyway..that experiment worked for about 20min untill the florinert gelled and jamed up the fish pump..

Florinert is the substance the submerged parts of the Original Cray Supercomputer in..
cray1.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back