Dieing Maxtor... Maybe?

Beginning

I'm Beginning Somehow...
I have a one month old 30 gig maxtor HD.. Today I turned on the computer and ... No more maxtor.. Says " Hard disk failure "... WHAaaaaaaahhh? Can't be. One month? Try as I might I couldn't get it to recognize the 30 gig..... Depressed like all get out, I turned of the power and walked away... :mad: Came back a few hours later and turned it back on..... Whalla!!! Back in business, It all seems fine now... Hmmmm Whats up with that? Is my one month old hard drive on it's last legs?

Edit... D**n.. Oops.. can someone move this to where it belongs... Sorry I wasn't looking where I was... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Elroy Jetson

Little Dipper School
make sure all the cables are connected properly. sounds like a loose wire connection somewhere. did the drive spin when it was not recognised?

LeeJend

OSNN Veteran Addict
Download the manufacturers diagnostics and run it. If there is a problem developing they should identify it and offer to print the results suitable for an RMA.

Also, if the drive supports it make sure SMART diagnostics are turned on in your bios. They monitor internal drive functions and can predict an imminent failure.

Even if the diagnostics say the drive is good back up your data. This was a warning. You never get two of them in life.

Beginning

I'm Beginning Somehow...
Thanks people... I'll try the Smart aware program... And about the Smart diag... You mean ' S.M.A.R.T. ' enabled or disabled in the bios settings? A while back I thought that smart was better off disabled... Hmmm..

LeeJend

OSNN Veteran Addict
SMART just tells the BIOS to read hardware diagnostic information off of the hard disk. Stuff like motor current, part temperatures, etc. If any of that data starts getting worse than it should normally be the BIOS puts out a SMART failure message.

Using RAID should not affect results.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut