Did MS kill Giant?

Blue Jack

OSNN Addict
I was running Giant before MS bought them, and I loved it. I was going to buy a license, then I heard about their sale, so I waited.

So I finally download the MS beta version of it, update it and do a scan. Surprisingly, it finds nothing. Now, I know, I get a lot of minor ads from certain gaming forums, to I revisited the sites, and rerun a scan. Again: nothing.

Open up the old adaware SE, do a scan: 43 critical objects detected.

Oh was has MS done to my great Giant?

Still use Spam Inspector. I really hope Microsoft don't shaft it up! :angry:

As far as I know, MS hasn't really done anything to the scanning engine yet, so it should be the same product as Giant's...just rebranded, of course. If you really want to verify this, try to find a trial version of the last version that Giant released from a third-party source (I'm sure it's available somewhere), install it and run a scan. Then do the same with the MS-acquired version. You shouldn't see a difference in results.

From this point on, things will probably change though, since a Microsoft team is now going to continue development.

microsoft surely had to get rid of the "too aggresive" tag giant allready had.

it was a work in progress before ms bought it, and it's still a work in progress, (beta we must remember)...ms also has unpublished ap's that no one else has, so it should wind up being a much better app.

The difference is Giant was selling this as a commercial product before it was perfected. Pretty weird...
It's a nice app overall though. Has some good features and is easy enough for a newbie to use without any problems.

perris said:
microsoft surely had to get rid of the "too aggresive" tag giant allready had.

it was a work in progress before ms bought it, and it's still a work in progress, (beta we must remember)...ms also has unpublished ap's that no one else has, so it should wind up being a much better app.

Lets hope so Perris, they have the expertise and money to get it perfected, lets hope they don't take their eye of the ball.

I purchased it before they took it over, so lets hope they don't let the purchasers of Giant down, Time will tell :rolleyes:

Are we talking about the spyware beta version MS released earlier? Then it just detects the 10 most popular adware thingies, because it's just a test version.

Glaanieboy said:
Are we talking about the spyware beta version MS released earlier? Then it just detects the 10 most popular adware thingies, because it's just a test version.
I think you might be referring to the virus removal tool that was released a couple of weeks after the AntiSpyware app.

The virus removal tool, like you said, detects and removes only some of the most widespread worms like MSBlast, Sasser etc. It's not meant to be a replacement for true antivirus software.

The AntiSpyware app detects far more than 10 malware pieces. In fact, there have been a couple of signature updates since the initial release too.

I detects more that that :rolleyes: , I had it detect a few things spybot didn't (and vice versa of course)

NetRyder said:
I think you might be referring to the virus removal tool that was released a couple of weeks after the AntiSpyware app.

The virus removal tool, like you said, detects and removes only some of the most widespread worms like MSBlast, Sasser etc. It's not meant to be a replacement for true antivirus software.

The AntiSpyware app detects far more than 10 malware pieces. In fact, there have been a couple of signature updates since the initial release too.
Ah, didn't know there was an antivirus tool. Thanks man.

About the only thing MS did to the program so far was change the logos and such .. I don't believe they touched the code. They didn't have time from the time they bought it to the time they released it to do any code adjustments to it ..

Glaanieboy said:
Ah, didn't know there was an antivirus tool. Thanks man.

I was under the impression that it was just an adware detection and removal tool, and not a full blown anti-virus.

vern said:
I was under the impression that it was just an adware detection and removal tool, and not a full blown anti-virus.
There are two products - one is the antispyware app (acquired from Giant) and the other is a virus/worm removal tool that detects and removes common worms like Sasser, Blaster, Gaobot etc.

The former is still a beta. It's a complete solution like Ad-Aware Pro (with some other useful features), with a realtime malware monitor and an automatic signature update system.

The latter is a small download that's automatically delivered via Windows Update on the second Tuesday of each month. Unlike the antispyware tool, this is not a replacement for third-party software, as I mentioned above, since it only detects and removes the most common viruses/worms, and does not include a realtime scanning engine.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back