Did animals have quake warning?

Evil Marge

I Rule
Political Access
Wildlife officials in Sri Lanka have reported that, despite the loss of human life in the Asian disaster, there have been no recorded animal deaths.

Waves from the worst tsunami in memory sent floodwater surging up to 3.5km (two miles) inland to the island's biggest wildlife reserve.

Many tourists drowned but, to the surprise of officials, no dead animals have been found.

It has highlighted claims that animals may possess a sixth sense about danger.

Yala National Park in Sri Lanka is home to elephants, deer, jackals and crocodiles.

Sensitive to change

Praised for its conservation, the park is also considered one of the best places in the world to observe leopards.

It is now closed after floods damaged buildings and caused the deaths of tourists and employees of the park and lodge.

Yet, surprisingly, none of the park's varied wildlife is reported to have perished.

BBC News
I find this fascinating

Animals have always been one of the best indicators of weather/change to come.

Nah, just that they were quickly eaten by sharks

I don't think the sharks could have eaten over 100 elephants as well as the deers and such :lick:

Don't forget about the other living creature in the ocean

According to wildlife experts at the national park no animals are reported missing

so, they all stamepeded to other parts of the country without anyone noticing?

this looks interesting, but it really flies in the face of reason...I'd like to see what the 'splanation is for how they happened to survive...till then, I can't buy it

perris said:
so, they all stamepeded to other parts of the country without anyone noticing?

this looks interesting, but it really flies in the face of reason...I'd like to see what the 'splanation is for how they happened to survive...till then, I can't buy it
The wave didn't affect the whole of the reserve and all the animals seem to have headed away onto higher ground before the water hit

maybe they felt the tremors and moved to higher ground before the tsunami caused by the earthquake hit...

sounds more common sense than psychic tbh...

i would personally have done the same... if I lived on a coastal region...

I'm sure all critters can sense things to some extent, but all in that area could feel something of that magnitude about to occur.

For instance, my girlfriend's cat waits for her at the door at least ten minutes before she's home. I thought it was an internal clock thing, told her to come home an hour late :laugh: Same thing. Regardless of what day it is, morning or evening, it appears by the door ten minutes before she's here. Explain that.

Sazar said:
maybe they felt the tremors and moved to higher ground before the tsunami caused by the earthquake hit...

Thats probably it,I just heard that the earth shock for 3 days after the tsunami hit and has been knocked about an inch off its axis :eek:

The wave didn't affect the whole of the reserve and all the animals seem to have headed away onto higher ground before the water hit
if the wave affect didn't affect the whole reserve, then it wasn't powerfull in that area...animals in the wild are obviously faster then domesitcated human beings.

pretty simple

Nick M said:
I'm sure all critters can sense things to some extent, but all in that area could feel something of that magnitude about to occur.

For instance, my girlfriend's cat waits for her at the door at least ten minutes before she's home. I thought it was an internal clock thing, told her to come home an hour late :laugh: Same thing. Regardless of what day it is, morning or evening, it appears by the door ten minutes before she's here. Explain that.
Our dogs do the exact same thing,no matter what time you come home they know and will sit by the door about 5 minutes before you arrive back :)

Sazar said:

We tend to question psychic abilities primarily because we lack them. To say that animals can sense danger (or anything for that matter) before us, kinda implies an inferiority among the human race. And god forbid we're ever considered inferior on any level... That falls along the lines of such narrow thinking as we're the only intelligent life in the universe. ;)

Neat article.

of course we're inferior at certain abilities...hearing, eyesight, speed and thrength...every physical ability is surpassed by an animal in the kingdom of earth and the circle of life

it's not any kind of psychic ability, it's a combination of all the other abilities combined in a symphony of cause and affect.

one group of animals smell something unusual and they seek sanctity, another feels something unusual, another sees unusual movement from the wind.

all animals behaving thus differently creates a mass affect.

we're domestcated and have become soemwhat but not entirely imune to the mass influence of nature

not psychic, just cause and affect

Lighter said:
We tend to question psychic abilities primarily because we lack them. To say that animals can sense danger (or anything for that matter) before us, kinda implies an inferiority among the human race. And god forbid we're ever considered inferior on any level... That falls along the lines of such narrow thinking as we're the only intelligent life in the universe. ;)

they live in different circumstances than we do... we are not in tune with the environment we live in to the extent animals are per se...

therefore it is logical to assume that changes in that environment that we can't sense will lead to them reacting in a defensive manner... while we continue doing what we do...

this does not imply psychic abilities... nor does it imply any manner of inferiority or some such item... its common sense....

-edit-

what perris said...

Keep in mind with dogs waiting at the door that both their hearing and their sense of smell is vastly superior to our own. Dogs purportedly can hear sounds which are miles away. More then likely the dog can pick up the master's scent and hear their footsteps/voices long before they get to the door.

Different animals do have different senses. I'd have to look it up again, but I think certain species (of birds was it?) have the ability to detect/sense the earth's electro-magnetic field. Their ability to sense this, helps guide their migrations. Bats can use radar of sorts, and dolphins and the like are able to use their clicks to help guide them through the water...

I'm not sure if I'd chalk it all up to "common sense" though, in the human sense. Because many species of animals lack the sophisticated brain development of us humans (with some exceptions such as dolphins, who in terms of brain organizations theirs is in some ways comporable to our own), and don't have the same abilities to reason things out. The animal running to the hills isn't necessarily thinking through what would be the logical or reasonable thing to do given a certain predicament. Many of their actions (lacking the higher reasoning centers of the human brain) is guided by instinct.

If one wanted to look for suggestion of psychic ability there would arguably be better places to look, such as the ESP experiments which were conducted at Duke University, matters of simultanious invention, or one case which sorry but can't reference it. Purportedly some animals began washing their food on one island which was isolated by at least 150 miles from other land. There was no way for these animals to fly, swim, whatever to the other land. Shortly after, animals of the same species just started washing their food somewhere other then that island as well. How this behavioural change spread, was last I heard unknown.

Evil Marge said:
Thats probably it,I just heard that the earth shock for 3 days after the tsunami hit and has been knocked about an inch off its axis :eek:
I read it also compacted the earth speeding up our rotation something like 5 milisecounds. Seems small but still crazy when you stop to think about it.

This discussion comes up everytime a disaster happens. I personally think it's because everyone has been exposed to Lassie and Flipper when they were young. :p

Here is a quote from the USGS:

Changes in animal behavior can not be used to predict earthquakes. Even though there have been documented cases of unusual animal behavior prior to earthquakes, a reproducible connection between a specific behavior and and the occurrence of an earthquake has not been made. Animals change their behavior for many reasons and given that an earthquake can shake millions of people, it is likely that a few of their pets will, by chance, be acting strangely before an earthquake.

That pretty much sums up what I think. Until there is a reproduceable connection between animal behaviour and natural disasters ... it's all just crazy people talking.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back