dialup modem keeps disconnecting!

dadecamp

under worked, over paid
For some reason my modem keeps hanging up and then redialing. This goes on time and time again while opening web pages, downloading software, or sending receiving email. This is quite frustrating since it is a shared internet connection with three other computers in my home.
It will stay connected if there is no activity but only stay connected a few minutes at a time while busy.
I have win XP sp2 on all computers and one is the dedicated internet connection/server.
Can anyone give advice on fixing this?

Thanks

I had that problem when I was on modem too. I didn't solve it until I finally just changed ISP (way before I got broadband though). The it stopped for the most part. Before that I changed the modem, but that only helped a little bit.

May want to see if there are updated drivers for your particular modem. Do you have another modem you could test the connection with? Also you may want to have the phone company test the line for noise to see if that's causing issues.

I do have another older modem that I can try but it seems strainge that it worked great for a while. I built this PC out of old hand-me-down parts only about 3 months ago and the modem worked fine until about a month back, not long after installing SP2. The modem is a new cheap generic with a intel chip. The old one is a Zoom.

devynal said:
May want to see if there are updated drivers for your particular modem. Do you have another modem you could test the connection with? Also you may want to have the phone company test the line for noise to see if that's causing issues.
Yup, sure sounds like line noise to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back