Dial-Up trouble. No data Xfer

L

Lugomann

Since installing XP, recently, I've had trouble surfing the web. After being online for awhile (the legnth varies), all data transfer ceases: new pages stop loading, downloads end, etc. The connection to the net, however, DOES remain intact.
I've reviewed several similar posts, on this and other forums, to try and remedy this issue. I have yet to make any headway though. So far I have tried the following :

- Tried several "Maximum Port Speed" settings.
- Used both IE 6.0 & Mozilla .
- Deleted Cookies & Temp. Internet files (Not the folders).
- Installed Ad-Aware & removed all spyware.
- Connected a laptop to the same phone line and surfed trouble-free, ruling out ISP issues.

CPU usage never goes above 20%. Is this good or bad ?
Could the "Privacy Settings" (currently set to medium) be part of the problem ?
I'm not aware of any proxy server requirements from my ISP. I never needed to set any up, on the same machine, before th XP install.
No Anti-Virus programs are currently installed.
The XP firewall is disabled. Should it be removed completely, if so how ?
System info : 750Mhz AMD Processor
256Meg RAM
US Robotics 56k FaxModem WIN 1806

Forgive my rambling. I hope I've provided enough info. & that someone has a solution.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

All setting on your pc are just fine except privacy and security levels . Try to "play" with them . You cannot totally remove XP firewall and processor utilisation really doesn't matter ..

Run an anti-virus... u could very well have a virus.

Just to be sure go see if there is a proxy setting. If there is then it only helps to streamline ur browsing cause ur using a copy existing in ur ISP already rather than downloading from the site.

I had problems with my modem too, have a read through this site it might help.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back