Dial-up ISP shopping

Eck

.user
Since I still can't get broadband, I'm looking for another dial-up ISP. Right now I'm on PeoplePC. It's great since I got rid of their toolbar and use the windows dialer instead of their bulky one. Only one problem, every 4 hours it disconnects. The Windows dialer will automatically reconnect and everything, but when I'm downloading large files this is rather inconvenient. I'm looking for another good ISP that won't kick you off after so many hours online. Juno or Netzero maybe? I'm not sure if these do, but if anyone's got anything let me know.

I'm not sure what to recommend since I haven't had dial up for a long time, but have you thought of getting a download manager for your downloads so that you can resume them if your connection drops? I personally use Getright, but there are lots of free ones out there.

I use a download manager. It's just annoying having to download large files 4 hours at a time, then start them again. My first ISP didn't have a timeout... DellEPro Connection for example. Those were the days...

Eck said:
I use a download manager. It's just annoying having to download large files 4 hours at a time, then start them again. My first ISP didn't have a timeout... DellEPro Connection for example. Those were the days...

Wouldn't a download manager resume those downloads from where it left off? Unless the remote server didn't support resuming, you should be able to resume.

vern said:
Wouldn't a download manager resume those downloads from where it left off? Unless the remote server didn't support resuming, you should be able to resume.

That's not the problem, I can resume fine. It's just that I'm not able to check up on my computer every 4 hours to start it again.

You might want to check locally and see if there are any ISP's that are there. I work at an ISP and i know that ours won't kick you off every 4 hours, unless your settings are set to disconnect if idle for more than that time.

How about Earthlink? Been a really long time since I was on 56k, so I don't know what their connection or disconnection policies are like, but I've heard the service is pretty good from people who do use it.

I use earthlink which seems to boot you only after 24 hours.

I also use stardownloader which restarts download on its own.

Earthlink is pretty good, I had used them for a number of years with no problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back