Diablo ii

J

jams

I installed xp pro and now my Diablo 2 will not run when you try to run it (from cd or installed short cut) it looks like its loading then the screen gets all messed up then it minimize's on its own and when I try to maximize it it just minimize's again I do not hav a 3d card installed tried the dxdiag there was no probs there even reinstalled it a few times to see if that was it still no luck
can anyone help me with this prob Blizzard still has not gotten back to me and its been a week now
thanks
Jams

i had this prob also. it has been a while, but i think it has to do with your resolution. diablo 2 runs at 800 x 600. this may be why it's crashing. if u can get to the start screen in d2, click on battlenet and let it automatically d/l a patch. that may fix it.

did u say u didn't have a 3d card? if so, it's time to buy one! grab a used 16mb vid card......they're dirt cheap!

how much ram u got?

Did you clean install? or upgrade? I see your new here and if you upgraded you might as well backup all your stuff to CD's and do the full install it will fix alot of the headaches your gonna get in the near future assuming that it was an upgrade that is..........as for diablo 2 I never have any trouble running that on winxp pro ....... and yes a 3d card is a good investment I just installed one and cant believe my eyes its like all my games are new lol never looked or played this good no matter what and like was said a 16mb card is dirt cheap now!! oh go for a nvidia anything with the TNT riva chipset because unlike most nvidia drivers are good for almost all their products I was very happy to see the newest drivers from nvidia work on a 16mb card that was made a couple of years ago .........

Download the latest patch from Blizzard or www.avault.com and install it if you haven't already. Fixed all my probs with this game, I rarely have problems with blizzard games they seem quite robust.

First off, What rez are you running XP at?
Second, You would be better off running a good 3D video card (OpenGL, DirectX).
Your best bet might be to drop your XP rez to 800 X 600 and reinstall DII. But first go into your "DiabloII" directory. Then to the "Save" directory and copy all the files there to another directory of your choosing ( temp or whatever, your choice). These files include your map and character files (It's a good idea to backup these files daily, in case the game dosen't go the way you want just overwrite with your backup copy)Once you reload the game try to play it again. If it works (it should) then adjust the game's rez to whatever your desktop rez was, try to play the game and see what happens. If all this works reset your desktop rez back to what it was. Then try to play the game again. But if your going to run DII OR DII LOD at any rate higher than 800 X 600 you should invest in a good vid card, just a thought. It would make everything run smoother. Good Luck

Another thought , you upgraded to XP so it is posible that some of the games files got corrupted, especially if you switched to NTFS from a FAT16 or FAT32 file system. So a reinstall of the game might be best.
Hope you still got the key code.

Change Resolution in Diablo II

Hey

how do you change the resolution for diablo 2? i thought d2 could only be played in 640x480 and D2:LoD @ 800x600

thats what i read in the manual and on blizzards website. they dont mention anything about how to change game rez.

It's been awhile, but I correct myself on runnig at 800 X 600. You can only do that with the expansion set LOD (Lord of Destruction) which is what I've been playing since it was released. DII runs at 640 X 480 mode during game play, runs at 800 X 600 on menu screens and on Battle.net screens. The 800 X 600 mode was the big bitching point for the LOD expansion set. I stand corrected. I still think the files are corrupted when it was upgraded to XP. I'm running XP Pro on an AMD Athlon 1Ghz machine with an Asus V7700 Deluxe 32MB AGP video card, 512MB RAM and a 19" ViewSonic GS790. I did a clean install of XP then copied all my progs over from my old hard drive including DII LOD. I never reinstalled the game, just ran it. I did the last update patch for the game and that's it, It runs great at 800 X 600.

diablo 2

thanks for all the help ...
but still does not work I when I installed XP Pro it was to a new 80 gig hd and my other hard drive was put in a other system the only thing from the d2 game I backed up was my save folder I tried reinstalling the game a few times the weird thing is some time I can get the game to load with out it messing up and other times it will not (same boot did not change anything that I know of or did my self) maybe some other software conflick I think its a video prob the game starts to load swiches res then you can see the mouse arrow hear the soud for the game then it just minimizes changes the res (1024 by 768 highest 32 bit) back to and when you try to maximize it it just pops up then down again .
thanks again
Jams

Drop your desk top rez down to 800 X 600. Your vid card might be having problems droping down from 1024 X 768 at 32 bit color. Also put yor desk top at 16 bit color. I use to have a problem on my old 98SE machine with a diamond viper II card, when the game loaded up the mouse would still be there on the blizzard screen and some times not load and cause my desk top to look all weird because the vid card still was trying to use the games video setting. Had to go into display propeties and reset everything all the time. I changed vid cards with a much better and faster one and no more problems.

new vid card

I just got a new vid card with 64 megs on it and it fixed my prob thanks of all the help guys :)
I think the old one just could not handle xp and the game too
Jams

Hey Jams,
Happy gaming, now go out and get the expansion set LOD. It is outstanding, run it at 800X600 and chop'em up.

still messed up

gonaads

it looks like its still doing it not sure why I have not installed anything new to the system do you think it can be a soft ware conflict ? and if so do you know how I can check (BTW still no reply from Blizzard) thanks again for the help
Jams

Hey Jams,
Just a thought but what type of mouse are you using? Next question, are you overdriving it? You might want to reload mouse drivers or update them but also uninstall DII and reinstall again. Yeh I know, you probably done it already. But sometimes it takes more than one or two installs to get it right. Been there! Also I think there is a video test in the DII folder that you can use, but I think it does this when it installs. What kind of vid card did you get? I'm running out of brain cells on this one. Strange though, I loaded DII on the machine at work and thats only running an AMD K6-2 350Mhz with 128MB ram and an old P.O.S. Matrox vid card. Runs slow as molasses but it runs, sometimes locks up the game. Only play it when we're really slow now though. What about your monitor is it old? Oh man... blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. My head hurts. Heh.

You might also try running DII in a window instead of full screen and see if that works ??? It also says in the manual (page 7) that some video cards have problems with direct x automatically switching between resolutions. "Make sure you have the latest drivers" blah, blah, blah... When you go through the video test it should give you options for either direct 3d or direct x. Switch between one and the other.
This is directly from Blizzard, To run in a window:
How can I run Diablo II in a window?
PC users, simply create a shortcut to Diablo II. Right click on the shortcut, select "Properties" and add -w at the end of the Target. (Example: Target: "C:\Program Files\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe" -w)
I'm spent! That's all y'all. Gooood Luck.

thanks again

gonaads

Thanks for that open in a window tip it works every time. the res swich did not by its self but if I do both its a small price to pay to play them game again

Jams

Enjoy, and happy hunting. BTW I've been using a Barbarian since day 1 Now he's at level 96. Finished the game all through LOD four months ago, normal, nightmare and hell modes. And I still can't stop playing it .

Barbarian

I have been a Barbarian from the start also level 57 only goten thru normal and nightmare not all the way done in hell and can not wait to play LOD I got it just have not installed it yet want to complete the game first I know if I install the LOD ill stop D2 till LOD is done do you still play online ?
Jams

nevermind bout the lightning char,. i got 1 =]
if anyone wants to play on bnet, look for me next time you're on, my account name is:
*djjavy1

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back