DHCP Server Setup, Scopes and More

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
So I was doing more reading for my next test, 70-291, and was really impressed of the power that a DHCP server can truly have. I have always understood DHCP, but now have a more thorough understanding of client/server roles, as well as APIPA.

I think the thing that impressed me the most, was the ability to control settings beyond just the client IP address. For example, you can setup the router, DNS Server and much more. Those are the two I used in my mock-setup, which made it much easier.

Referring to an earlier thread I had posted, my fix for the problem was configuring each client statically so I could point them to the proper DNS Server (the DC), rather than the ISP. Doing this, in combination with enabling NETBIOS over TCP/IP, I have alleviated my speed issues.

I haven't tested the DHCP Server settings in the environment I had this speed issue yet, but I would imagine this would make my life MUCH easier. In the current scenario, I have to manually configure each client, and adding new machines involves more administrative overhead.

Also, after learning that NETBIOS over TCP/IP really shouldn't be implemented if there aren't any "legacy" clients (I know that is pre-XP, but for this discussion I am using Pre-2K), I think I might disable it.

I will be interested to see if the DHCP Server Settings will alleviate my speed problems, and hope I can ditch NETBIOS over TCP/IP.

I know I babbled, and went off on tangents, but it's a habit :)

Thoughts anyone?​

Well, the DHCP is supposed to setup the network settings for the host, so having power over gateway router and dns server settings for the host makes sense does it not?

I have isc-dhcpd and tinydns running on a FreeBSD box on my network that I use for internal lan dns and dhcp configuration. The most useful feature is that I can tell the DHCP server to assign the host with the MAC address of X the ip address which maps to the domain name of x.y.lan

this is mainly useful because I only have to keep one list of hostnames to ip addresses up to date.

The DHCP settings are great on a Server OS. Routers dont come close to them. DHCP is suppose to help make setup easiey kcnychief. LOL

Geffy said:
Well, the DHCP is supposed to setup the network settings for the host, so having power over gateway router and dns server settings for the host makes sense does it not?

I have isc-dhcpd and tinydns running on a FreeBSD box on my network that I use for internal lan dns and dhcp configuration. The most useful feature is that I can tell the DHCP server to assign the host with the MAC address of X the ip address which maps to the domain name of x.y.lan

this is mainly useful because I only have to keep one list of hostnames to ip addresses up to date.

Yes, makes total sense. If I understand what you say in paragraph 2, that is a IP Reservation which is also a great feature. There were reasons that I needed to uses static IP's for a few occassions, and I don't any longer :)

yep, I use the Mac addresses to 'hardwire' the machines to their ip addresses and therefore their domain names but also means that I dont have to go around setting static ip addresses on a bunch of hosts.

I also have a dynamic range which also has dns addresses allocated to them

I use IP reservations on my home machines, justs have a "dymanic" so to speak.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back