DHCP Mishap

NerdUprising

[ Method ]
late today, my router, for some reason, became irritated

it began assigning computers that joined the network the same IP... (for example... one person would be on a running computer with IP: 192.168.1.101, and the next computer that joins is assigned the same IP... connection dialogue would pop up ("LAN IP Conflict") and hysteria would ensue

router has latest firmware, and has been working fine until now... any ideas how to fix it?

(and if I was to set up static routing... this is a newbie question, i know, i know gateway, subnet mask, etc, but where would I look to find the 1-3 DNS IPs that I need?)

thanks

Nerd

i would try disabling DHCP on the router and manually assign IP addys to all machines on the network.

i would then reset the router.

ok, will do... but what do I put for DNS addy? lists places for 3, and says its required... me not know where to look

and PS: in your sig... that guy + that quote = reminds me of pre-beats (ginsberg, kerouac, cassidy, etc) writer that was really an influence to off the wall writing... really interested in what he writes, but cant remember his name... if that is him in your sig, mind enlightening me with his name?

Don't disable WAN DHCP in the router. That is the IP Address that you get from your ISP. DO NOT change that to static.

Disable the internal LAN DHCP server and give each computer a static 192 address.

As for your DNS Addresses for the PCs, just look under ipconfig /all on one of the working PCs.

JJB

JJB

the only way I figure out my ISP DNS is by connecting a computer directly to net bypassing the router. Run ipconfig /all in a command box. my router does not display the DNS.

Originally posted by NerdUprising

and PS: in your sig... that guy + that quote = reminds me of pre-beats (ginsberg, kerouac, cassidy, etc) writer that was really an influence to off the wall writing... really interested in what he writes, but cant remember his name... if that is him in your sig, mind enlightening me with his name?

William Boroughs (SP?) I believe

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back