"Device needed to boot system" errors

J

JeremyT

I have wake on LAN shutoff. Completely. And remote assistance just in case...

Problem: Whenever I try to uninstall my NIC I get an error saying that the "device is needed to boot system". I tried using safe mode and still no luck.

Also, when I try to install my new NIC it won't install right. Always says that the "files cannot be found" even though I have a disk with the drivers.

I have tried to manually put the files where they need to be, to install from my hard drive, but still nothing. I've repaired my XP install already, ran scandisk etc...

I've switched PCI slots thinking maybe it was that, but anything else I use works fine (modem, DV card).

I've booted in safe mode to see if I had multiple instances of the same card/drivers installed, but that just takes me back to the first problem. I do see my old NIC and also my new one however, just can't do anything about it...

Thanks in advance
-JeremT

Try to remove the old NIC without uninstalling it from device manager
The problem most likely lies in the driver, which starts in the boot sequence of the PC. So try simply removing the NIC from the pc, and installing the new one. You can try to add an old NIC later, if you need it.

Already tried that, it has a problem when XP tries to install drivers when it detects new hardware.

Souns kinda lame, but do you install drivers manually? ie do you set the path yourself for the new NIC drivers?

No I never install drivers myself, but I just wanted to try it this time just to see if that was a problem.

I ended up just reformatting the computer and reinstalling XP. As expected it solved the problem, I just hope it doesn't happen again....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back