Device Manager

W

westy1

A friend of mine has called me for help but I have no ideas. In windows 98 everything in device manager is listed twice with a yellow exclamation mark, I told him to uninstal the second entry which was ok until he rebooted and they came back again.

Tried to uninstal both entries but when rebooted picked it up twice.

Any ideas PLEASE!

Wow, lots of variables there.

1) Is it really everything or just a few devices that are showing a conflict?

2) Did he recently make any hardware/software modifications?

3) Is he having problems with the hardware in question working properly? Or does everything work ok and it just shows up in the Device Manager?

Any other info that you may have would be helpful in us helping you. Thanks! :)

He tried to instal a USB hub thats when it all went wrong.

Everything is listed twice. But it is working ok.

He does not know alot about computers, and got a USB hub for notebooks. although the shop told him it would be ok.

Just spoken to him on the phone seems that most of the problems are related to the motherboard. I have told him to turn computer off and take the battery out of the motherboard for a while.

Dont know if that will work???.

If its any help , USB hub entries are always listed twice.
I have 5 ( x 2)
Im sure someone will know why !

Conflicts everywhere in device manager. If a complete reinstal was done would it clear things up.

Tried to uninstal everything with a conflict that is mentioned twice but when its rebooted it pick's everything up twice again.
As I said before mainly connected with the motherboard.
Could it be anything that could be changed in the BIOS?

i remember seeing the exact same thing happen years ago on my friend's crappy 200mhz compaq. every device in every category was listed twice. i don't think we ever came up with a solution other than reformatting. that fixed it, of course.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back