Device driver frustration.

alan2273

I love the Penguin
If I click on my computer and right click either of my two hard drives the computer reboots.
They are both Maxtor 80gb SATA drives.
Right clicking on any of the other drives, ( USB 2 external hard drive, ZIP drive, USB2 floppy/card reader), causes no problems.

I also tried going in through my computer/manage/disk management and as soon as I right clicked either of the two drives and trird to select properties it rebooted.

I sent an error report to Microsoft and the reply came back that it was a device driver that was causing the problem but could not elaborate on that.

I am running XP home and tried a system restore to no avail.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

alan2273 said:
If I click on my computer and right click either of my two hard drives the computer reboots.
They are both Maxtor 80gb SATA drives.
Right clicking on any of the other drives, ( USB 2 external hard drive, ZIP drive, USB2 floppy/card reader), causes no problems.

I also tried going in through my computer/manage/disk management and as soon as I right clicked either of the two drives and trird to select properties it rebooted.

I sent an error report to Microsoft and the reply came back that it was a device driver that was causing the problem but could not elaborate on that.

I am running XP home and tried a system restore to no avail.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Can I ask what stirred you into doing this in the first place? I would assume the driver they are referring to would be the chipset driver on your motherboard. This would come from the fact that the Hard Drive itself is detected through the IDE Controller. Does this same problem happen to you in safe mode?

I have tried safe mode and the same thing happened.
I right clicked the drive to access tools to check if the drive need defragmenting.

alan2273 said:
I have tried safe mode and the same thing happened.
I right clicked the drive to access tools to check if the drive need defragmenting.

Is your computer Set to ACPI? Can you check for an updated Chipset driver? Although it's a longshot, have you checekd for virii and spyware already as well? Have you tried Safe Mode with Networking and regular Safe Mode?

Do both drives show up OK in the BIOS?

How do I check for ACPI.
Have allready checked for updated chipset drivers and have the latest.
Have tried safe mode and safe mode with networking.
Just going to check the BIOS now.
Yes they are showing as SCSI-0 & SCSI-1
Just found ACPI in device manager/system services and it says it is working properly

Last edited:
id try 1 hard drive at a time, and see if you get that error with 1 drive at a time.

Well, let me start with something else first. The drivers for your Hard Disk channel are located here....

C:\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\disk.sys
C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\PartMgr.sys

The versions that I have on my machine are Microsoft 7/1/2001 Version 5.1.2535.0

You could try copying those files out of their default location (whereas not deleting them so you could restore if need be.)

Note: Copy, so this will indeed leave them in the original location

Try to uninstall the hard disk. This will only take effect after you reboot, but it will force the computer to re-install the device driver.

As far as the ACPI, consult Device Manager.. (see attachment)

Expand Computer, right click whatever device is listed, go to update driver. (if is already ACPI, ignore obviously)

Choose Advanced, Let me choose, and then ACPI will be in the list

EDIT: Drivers might be different for SCSI drives...

Last edited:
Have to go to work now, will try your suggestions in the morning when I get home.
Thanks for your help.
I will get back to you.
Regards Alan.

alan2273 said:
Have to go to work now, will try your suggestions in the morning when I get home.
Thanks for your help.
I will get back to you.
Regards Alan.

You are welcome, good luck and remember to let us know how it works out.

This is an interesting problem, sorry I cannot help but I will be interested to see the outcome.

Last edited:
Have checked the drivers and they are the same as you posted and exactly the same date.
I tried uninstalling, it would not let me do it on the C drive as it has the OS on it but it did on the D drive and after a reboot it detected it and installed the drivers, so i opened my computer and right clicked on the D drive and got the BSOD, more on that shortly.
ACPI is ok.
the BSOD message reads like this, if it is any help.
STOP: 0x00000019(0x00000020, 0x894910E8, 0x89491140,0x1A0B0002).

Also at the top of the screen it said ?_pool_header.
The first bit was of the screen so I put a question mark in its place.

I use AVG, ZA, Spybot S & D, Adaware, A2 squared and Crap cleaner.
I keep all of these up to date and have not had a virus for a long time.

My OS is XP Home with SP2 and all updates.

See if this does anything>>>Found at another forum>>

"The Indexing Service will, on occasion, also cause SP2 to crash. I suspect that machines that start to exhibit this symptom after having SP2 installed have greater underlying issues. Anyway, to stop the indexing service from running, then click Start->Run type services.msc, and click OK.

Double click the Indexing Service and set the startup type to either manual, or disabled. By default, I believe it's manual. (You'll notice on this machine it's not running, and is set to manual. I haven't changed the setting at all. Also, this machine is running SP2) If your machine BSOD's upon bootup, then you'll likely have to boot to safe mode to change this. You can also disable the Indexing Service using msconfig, however, it's generally better practice to do it the services.msc way."

alan2273 said:
Have checked the drivers and they are the same as you posted and exactly the same date.
I tried uninstalling, it would not let me do it on the C drive as it has the OS on it but it did on the D drive and after a reboot it detected it and installed the drivers, so i opened my computer and right clicked on the D drive and got the BSOD, more on that shortly.
ACPI is ok.
the BSOD message reads like this, if it is any help.
STOP: 0x00000019(0x00000020, 0x894910E8, 0x89491140,0x1A0B0002).

Also at the top of the screen it said ?_pool_header.
The first bit was of the screen so I put a question mark in its place.

I use AVG, ZA, Spybot S & D, Adaware, A2 squared and Crap cleaner.
I keep all of these up to date and have not had a virus for a long time.

My OS is XP Home with SP2 and all updates.

Hmmm....I did some googling...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=0x00000019

The answers are scattered, there really doesn't appear to be any one answer. A few of them said it could be a software issue, try un-installing some applications that you have listed like AVG, ZA mostly. If you are worried about security, unplug your ethernet cable while you are doing this so your machine isn't vulnerable. How long was your machine stable before this happened, and was it any time after you installed anything?

Did you run a chkdsk on the drives?

I ran chkdsk and it came up clean.
I built the machine abot 6 weeks ago and up untill the day before the post it ran perfectly, apart from the right click issue it still does.

I don`t know if this has any bearing on the problem, but I have checked everything in device manager and under system services these items have no drivers installed, although they do not have any red or yellow marks next to them.
1/ Direct Memory Access Controller
2/ Motherboard Resources
3/ Motherboard Resources
4/ Motherboard Resources
5/ Numeric Data Processor
6/ Plug & Play Software Device Enumerator
7/ Programmable Interrupt Controller
8/ System Speaker.

Can you un-install AVG and your Firewall Programs then try again?

Can we get a screenshot of the device manager with the hard drive controller expanded?

I was actually thinking about this at work today (I know, I'm pathetic), but I was thinking maybe your machine is trying to scan it through AVG and BSOD's. I know, it's a long shot, but some "on-access" programs are REAL aggressive....

Although, if you do un-install, it might be best to consult the vendor from where it came, to ensure you COMPLETELY remove it. Especially from Registry etc.

If you did not do so already....when you are looking in device manager select view then show hidden devices so you can see all the devices.

Maybe some hidden device is causing you a problem.

What card reader do you have and did it come with a software/driver disk that you installed?

Go to Computer management and click on "removable storage" does the computer reboot?

If so uninstall the card reader then right click the drives see what happens.

The driver for the card reader may have gotten corrupted.

Is this of any help.

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 100

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back