Desperate, annoyed, angry,... Need help with wireless.

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
Ok,
Here is my problem.
I have narrowed it down to my desktop because my other two computers have no problem.
My internet connection, for games, im, internet. cuts out very often.
I am not too far from my router cause my laptop gets it even farther away.
Is there any way to fix this?
I have a Zyxel card, about 6 months old.

So your connection strength shows up as excellent or good?

Do you have a spare wifi card or usb adapter to try out to see if its your hw?

hw?
Yes, my connection is sensed as good.
But the thing is that my internet (Wifi) stopped working right after i rebuilt my pc... :(

hw = hardware.

Ok, so you are saying that your desktop pc cannot connect to the internet through the wifi connection?

Can you ping any of the other machines on the network?

your goin to fast for me:)
Ping?
Also, i can connect through my wifi, its just sparatic.
Never does it hold a connection for more than 30 seconds.

Didn't we just have a similar thread? Seems familiar... Check to make sure that they are both on the same channel and that your wifi card's antenna is connected properly and it isn't blocked up with a bunch of cables or clutter.

EDIT: of course if they weren't on the same channel it wouldn't work at all...

heh, ok... lets take this one step at a time then.

On the desktop machine that is having trouble...

You are saying that you can browse the net on it, its just that it will disconnect every 30 seconds or so. Correct?

Ok, next thing. Pinging is when you send a blank packet to another machine to see if it sends a response back. This is a very common way to test if two machines can even reach each other.

Since you said you can briefly connect to the internet its kinda a moot point now, but for future reference now you know what it means.

When you rebuilt your rig did you reinstall windows as well? If you did, did you install the right drivers for your WiFi card? Or, did you move the Card to a different PCI slot?

Im gonna disregaurd techno's post cause its kinda counter productive (no-offense, we are past that).
Aprox - Yes you were correct, and yes i did reinstal windows, im not sure if i switched slots and i will try to reinstall the drivers.
Give me 20 minutes and i will try, k?
Im on my laptop now.

He did make a good point about the antenna being properly attached. You might check that as well. It could be loosely attached and its getting moved by a mouse cable or something and causing it to disconnect.

lol,
I checked that :)
I assume wireless mice and keyboard wouldnt interfer right?

I had that happen to a card once.. Every time I pulled on my usb gamepad, it disconnected {I was starting to believe my computer was haunted :s}

Hmm,
You know what, im gonna try and switch the card to another slot.
It might work
Give me a few minutes, ill be back.

What ever happened? Seeing as it says your connection is "good" check your packets. If you are not recieving too many then release and renew your ip imo~

If you don't know how I can elaborate. You have to use cmd (hint)

Im not a software guy!
Also, im trying the switching of slots right now.

After you get the card moved and your machine powered up we can talk about pinging one of the other clients to see if you are dropping any packets.

im on my desktop, its booted and the internet works on it.
However this is how it always is as soon as the comptuer starts.
Lets ping away!

I dont know if i am loosing packets.
I switched the card...
And it hasnt cut out yet.
I wanna do what aprox said, kno thanks for your help. But he is helping me :)

Ok, so in order to ping another computer you need some information first. You need to know the IP address of the other machine, and you need to know the commands in order to do the pinging. Here is a step by step with screen shots I just slammed together for you.

Step 1.

Bring up the run dialog box by hitting <Windows key + R> or by going to start>run. Then type in the word "cmd" without quotes and hit enter.
step1run1fx.jpg

Step 2.

After you hit enter a black terminal will pop up. From here you can enter commands and such. This is very similar to working in DOS.

step2cmd2ev.jpg

Step 3.

From this command promt we want to type in the command "ipconfig" and hit enter we can now see what our current private IP address is where it says IP Address............. xxx.xxx.x.xx

Note: You want to do this on some other machine besides your desktop. Because we want to find out the IP of a seperate computer so we can use the desktop to ping it. I hope that makes sense.

step3ipconfig2um.jpg

Step 4.

Now that we have the IP address of the host machine we want to ping, write it down or memorize it or something. Now go to the desktop with the bad connection. Bring up the command promt as you did in steps 1 & 2. Except now type in "ping" instead of "ipconfig" and follow the word ping with the IP address you wrote down.

step4ping5lc.jpg

As you see I have a 0% loss with no packets being dropped and no collisions. If you have something else, let us know.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back