Desktop won't boot...

apu95

Caffeine-->Code Converter
So one of my PCs here at home decided to stop booting. Everything spins up but I get no video signal when I press the power button. The HDD led is constantly on and nothing else happens. I started testing the components and everything seems to be working. This is what I did:

- Checked the CPU by turning the PC on without the CPU fan to see if the CPU would warm up.
- Checked the RAM by taking it out and turning on the PC. The PC then made a beeping noise when it had no RAM. I concluded the RAM was fine since there was no beeping when the RAM was inside.
- Checked the monitor by hooking it up to my laptop.
- The motherboard shows me a green LED (Intel D865GBFL), I figured it was also fine.
- I reset the CMOS/BIOS by taking out the battery as well as using the jumper pins to reset it.
- Took out all cards and tried turning it on.
- Tested the PSU by disconnecting the main motherboard connector and shorting the green wire with a ground. The PSU's fan turned on, leading me to conclude the PSU is still working.

I can't think of any other tests to run, it's driving me nuts...

Did you check your video card? It might be going bad ...

I checked the video signal with both the integrated motherboard video as well as the dedicated card and it wouldn't work either way.

have you tried to unplug all the components like hard drive dvd rom and all that and just boot. see if it posts? if the hdd LED is solid. it may be getting stuck on that. just unplug them totaly. remove cables from board and boot it. the board may post. maybe.

I did that as well. I disconnected the power cables from the optical drives as well as the hard drives and got the same results.

I did that as well. I disconnected the power cables from the optical drives as well as the hard drives and got the same results.

Don't just disconnect the power cables. You need to disconnect the data cables instead.

Some computers do do anything if a drive doesn't have power.

Okay, I just tested it with no cables (power and data) and no improvement. Something to add is that the keyboard LEDs can be turned on/off when the system is powered up.

I've had bad ram that didn't beep, just went bad and nothing showed on monitor until the ram was replaced then everything was fine.

Maybe disconnect the data and power cable from all drives except a CD drive and boot from a bootable CD to see if there is any video.

Back to the ram...I would find another stick you know works and install that just to see what happens.

By chance do you have a little blinking line or curser in the upper left corner on the black screen when you try to boot?

I'll try finding a stick of ram... I did disconnect all the data and power cables and tried booting like that but nothing worked. When I try to boot there's no blinking line/cursor in the upper left corner.

Awwwright, issue fixed =D. It was the ram that was screwing everything up. Thanks for all the input guys!

Glad to hear that you got it fixed ...

I've had bad ram that didn't beep, just went bad and nothing showed on monitor until the ram was replaced then everything was fine.

That's exactly right the RAM is before Video in post .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back