Desktop Icons

Jewelzz

OSNN Godlike Veteran
I haven't installed any new programs or updated my dtop yet quite a few of my dtop icons (the simple folder for example) now show as if I don't have something installed. I tried changing the icon (to the simple folder) and nothing but I can change then to anything else. Why? :s How can I get the basic icons to work again?

I am wondering if this could be connected to the desktop icons cache?

The tweak for increasing the cache is here

Maybe dreamliner can help - he had this problem

Reps to you MF, thanks! Gotta love an easy fix. I wanna know why, all of a sudden, this happened. Any ideas?

Computers do crazy things, just like people. Anything could of done this really.

Computers do crazy things, just like people. Anything could of done this really.

well as a web-designer you may say that....

as a programmer I must disagree...

They just create the illusion of doing crazy things because they have become complex interlayered and intereacting programs that are running... In fact what they do is boringly predictable internally. So any issue SHOULD be reproduceable IF it is completely understood (or at worst case one understands WHY it cannot be reproduced).

Like I said to Jewelzz in IRC, my best guess is a bugette in the cache handling for icons - hence my suggested fix, and since it works that reinforces my guess as to cause (but does not mean it is right!). Since it is fixed we are unlikely to go further - but you could experiment with insanely low cache sizes for icons and stuff and finding the file and messign with it and stuff....

I shan't bang on - just wanted to say it is ALWAYS a mistake to anthromorphize a computer - always wanted to use that word in this forum and I finally have! (Hope I spelt it right! :p)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back