Desktop Icon Repainting

B

bill g

Frequently when I minimize the window on an app and return to my desktop the icons all get repainted. Anyone know what is up with that? I don't have active desktop enabled. It's a 1.6 pentium with 512mb mem.
thanks,
bill g

This may help. Open regedit and navigate to this key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

Then create or change this value

Max Cached Icons REG_SZ 8192

yoyo,
Thanks for reply.
I went to the key and I have two reg things:
Max Cached Icons Reg_SZ 700 and
MaxCachedIcons Dword 8192

Which one?
thanks again,
bill g

Very unusual that you have two entries there. I would try

Max Cached Icons REG_SZ 8192

and delete the other one.

Originally posted by bill g
yoyo,
Thanks for reply.
I went to the key and I have two reg things:
Max Cached Icons Reg_SZ 700 and
MaxCachedIcons Dword 8192

Which one?
thanks again,
bill g
You apparently have both a dword entry and a string entry. First EXPORT the string entry (the one that = 700) and then delete it. Leave the other entry as is.

The reason for the export is so that if there are any problems after deleting the item (and there absolutely should not be) you can later import (restore) it.

Hey thanks guys! I'll check it out tommorrow. I just looked on my home machine and it doesn't have either of the icon keys or values and it never does that but it's still fat vs ntfs.
bill g

What is a default value of Max Cached Icons in WinXPro ?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back