design question

Joel980

OSNN Newbie
Hello friends
I am desiging a site and I asked this other guy for help and he said to use frames before I use Flash, Applets or JavaScripts. What do you guys think? I have a long page that I am using a static menu on but he suggested using frames cause he says it would load quicker. Do you think that is correct?

thanks in advance

Raw HTML will load quicker than a Flash website. Flash is great for 'rich' content. but from what you've described I think a HTML site would be fine.

However, the current thinking is that Frames are Evil http://www.html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil

I would recommend using css for layout rather than frames.

I used to code in frames, but honestly these days they are crud. I don't think load times are much of a concern as they used to be, as broadband or higher quality DUN lines are much more common in homes. Can you give a better mock of up what you are trying to accomplish?

Also, I have moved this to the coding and design section, welcome to OSNN :)

stay away from frames..

stay away from flash menus

Use CSS for layout.. tables where necessary after CSS

Don't use frames..

oh, did I mention Don't use frames

i removed frames from my site - mainly because IE would mess them up

stay away from frames..

stay away from flash menus

Use CSS for layout.. tables where necessary after CSS

Don't use frames..

oh, did I mention Don't use frames

I agree completely. If you use frames then it sets your site back a decade. Use CSS and small Javascript libraries to achieve impressive visual effects. Check out Mootools for example.

I just have to say how adorable I think your avatar is!!

Frames can be useful in specific situations, but in general, I agree with everyone else ... they're not the best design decision.

If it's formatting you need, CSS and/or tables (It's a cheap answer, but really easy) can achieve most of what you want.

However, if you have a mockup and general explanation of what you're trying to DO, we might be able to help a bit more effectively.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back