• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

design question

Joel980

OSNN One Post Wonder
Hello friends
I am desiging a site and I asked this other guy for help and he said to use frames before I use Flash, Applets or JavaScripts. What do you guys think? I have a long page that I am using a static menu on but he suggested using frames cause he says it would load quicker. Do you think that is correct?

thanks in advance

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
I used to code in frames, but honestly these days they are crud. I don't think load times are much of a concern as they used to be, as broadband or higher quality DUN lines are much more common in homes. Can you give a better mock of up what you are trying to accomplish?

Also, I have moved this to the coding and design section, welcome to OSNN :)

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Staff member
Political User
stay away from frames..

stay away from flash menus

Use CSS for layout.. tables where necessary after CSS

Don't use frames..

oh, did I mention Don't use frames

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political User
stay away from frames..

stay away from flash menus

Use CSS for layout.. tables where necessary after CSS

Don't use frames..

oh, did I mention Don't use frames
I agree completely. If you use frames then it sets your site back a decade. Use CSS and small Javascript libraries to achieve impressive visual effects. Check out Mootools for example.

AllWeatherGal

Not Just for Fair Weather
Political User
I just have to say how adorable I think your avatar is!!

Frames can be useful in specific situations, but in general, I agree with everyone else ... they're not the best design decision.

If it's formatting you need, CSS and/or tables (It's a cheap answer, but really easy) can achieve most of what you want.

However, if you have a mockup and general explanation of what you're trying to DO, we might be able to help a bit more effectively.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies