Dell XPS M1330: Third time is the charm?

Re: The wait is over, my new Dell XPS M1330 has arrived!

As for Dell, they refused to help me at first because I installed Vista Enterprise in place of Vista Business. However, after me pointing out a few things they attempted to help me with my problem. However, diagnostics returned that all systems had passed.

There is something wrong with the SSD drive regardless of what OS is on the system. I had him convinced of that but he wants me to put Vista Business back on it and see if the problem still occurs (duh!).

If you are using the install image (sans el-crappo stuff), is it the regular Vista install or does it contain the basic drivers for the system?

Also, call Sandisk dude.

I ran extended diagnostics on all hardware and everything passed. I'm convinced it is a driver issue. Considering I can switch from AHCI to ATA and it works flawlessly.

UPDATE

According to the research that I have done and what Dell confirmed this morning: AHCI and Turbo Memory are for hard drives and NOT Solid State. There is no need for either one when it comes to SSD. Would anyone else like to confirm that?

already beat you to that link Gonaads.. I sent him that link in an IM :) :p

'Nads, I've been in touch with him. That's where I got the idea to switch to ATA mode. However, he claims to have gotten SSD to work with AHCI and I wasn't able to pull that off. I'm happy with it in ATA mode. It is blazing fast; and defiantly more responsive than my M1210 was.

Fine, Me and my gallon of cold milk are leaving. :mad: :p

'Nads, I've been in touch with him. That's where I got the idea to switch to ATA mode. However, he claims to have gotten SSD to work with AHCI and I wasn't able to pull that off. I'm happy with it in ATA mode. It is blazing fast; and defiantly more responsive than my M1210 was.

I have something right heeyah that's more responsive than your M1210 was :lick:

Anyways, glad it's working.

Thinking of sticking with it or moving back to s-ata?

I'd sit here all day and work on getting it to work under AHCI, but I need it up and running. I've spent enough time on it already.

I have something right heeyah that's more responsive than your M1210 was :lick:

O.K. Sazar, remove the electrodes and the car battery. You know you can't jump start it. It's been dormant for too damn long. Nothing short of an industrial hand pump is gonna help you. :p

*runs... takes cookies for milk* :smoker:

UPDATE

According to the research that I have done and what Dell confirmed this morning: AHCI and Turbo Memory are for hard drives and NOT Solid State. There is no need for either one when it comes to SSD. Would anyone else like to confirm that?

I thought the theory behind Turbo memory was basically to cache RAM on a flash drive not a hard drive? Again I was also under the impression that they were trying to do this turbo memory thing as a way to fudge 2GB of RAM with only 1GB installed. If you are purposely paging to a SATA or IDE drive I would call that the opposite of turbo.

That's why I am looking for confirmation. Because I don't think the information is correct, being that someone else got it working.

Sorry to get everyones hopes up, including my own. I have requested a replacement or a refund. Something is not right with this notebook.

As per the wireless problem: It was confirmed that they used the wrong LCD kit.

As per the AHCI vs. ATA mode problem: I called SanDisk and they confirmed it should work perfectly using AHCI and the likely cause was the controller or drivers (I know the drivers work because I had a new 1420 in here and used the same set of drivers).

Because of the latter I have requested a replacement be shipped or a refund be issued.

I will keep everyone posted. I will post the photos in a few moment for your viewing pleasure.

Click to enlarge.

More coming in next post...

The new Dell Inspiron 1420 and Dell XPS M1330

Made in Malaysia, hmmmm. It's a very pretty, ummm, paper weight. ;)

Very nice looking, sorry to see it go :(

I am sorry to see it go too. It is by far the best looking notebook I've laid eyes on and it is a huge improvement over previous Dell notebooks.

I will write the review once I have my replacement.

I still say you ask for a M1710 for your troubles :eek:

Why, when there is a 1730 coming round the corner.

You're a terrible friend to suggest old technology :smoker:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back