Dell Workstation replacement advice

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hey all,

Got a client of mine (accountant Office). Workgroup network setup.

Anyways, they want to replace two of their workstations in their offices. Presently, these workstations are Dell machines with XPPro/Office 2003. They are getting replaced with Dell machines with XPPro/Office2007.

My question is: what would be the best way to transfer all the files/settings between the machines, especially since the new machines will have the 2007Office in them? They basically want the machine to look exactly the same, except for the new Office Software.

The last time they swapped out workstations, it was a day long event as all software and other stuff was manually transferred/installed.

Thanks,

Heeter

1) Image the existing hard disk to a blank one of same or larger size.
2) Remove the original (this is now your backup) and boot from the image.
3) Go into device mangler and disable all of the MB and PC hardware devices - PCI-e/AGP, usb, chipset, video card, sound, etc.
4) Install the imaged HD with the machine perculiar hardware drivers stripped off into the new PC.
5) Boot and install drivers for new machine.
The entire old machine is now on the new machine!
6) Change the XP\Pro key to a new one if desired and reactivate.
7) Install the office update onto the new machine.

Wella, interruption time is just the time to image the HD which can be significant depending on disk size.

The other approach assumes the user has not stashed data in "unusual places on the HD) and leaves the user with significant additional down time to get everything straightened out.

A days down time is normal for a PC refresh. At work we usually loose a day to the transfer process and then the re-tweak costs another day.

In a sane company this would be done over the weekend, but since user interaction is required to some extent that doesn't go over well. The above process allows for minimal user interruption and if it craters just stick the original HD in the original PC and you are running.

I would say run the Office 2003 Save My Settings Wizard. Install Office 2003 on the new computer, restore the settings using the Office 2003 Save My Settings Wizard, then install Office 2007.

For some reason Microsoft did away with this tool in 2007.

I would find some migration software. Make transfering your files simple. And directly connect the PCs together and viola!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back