Dell Truemobile 2300 & Sagem USB modem

desie

OSNN Senior Addict
Hello. I tried to help out James home network today. Here goes...

James has 2 computers and 1 laptop. They are all running Windows XP.

I have configured the router (clients are all wireless) and all clients to be in the 192.168.0.x range because ICS wants to be in that range in order to work. ICS is enabled on the host computer on the Sagem modem.

The host computer has a Dell Truemobile 2300 Wireless Broadband Router but he connects to the Internet via a Sagem USB Fast 800 modem.

Everything is set-up great, we got as far as file sharing and the clients pinging the router and everything. We run all the XP Wizards and stuff and we think it should be working. Well it is, just not receiving internet.

I think this is because it's a USB connection for the Internet? I set-up the router to act as an access point because that isn't connected to the Internet.

Just wondered if you could help, I right click on the LAN on the host computer and select bridge network but it gives an error message about wanting to be having two lan connections.

PC1 = 192.168.0.1
Router = 192.168.0.2
Laptop = 192.168.0.3
Upstairs PC = 192.168.0.4

Ive provided every last piece of information I have. Why has no one replied???

desie, will you please stop bumping threads. It's annoying.

maggie I spent about a whole day doing the stuff whats on that guide (thanks for link though). I don't think your following me right, the internet (ADSL) is a USB modem on a usb port on the host computer. However the wireless router is on its own network card in the host computer (so just one network card in the host computer). I tried ICS on the usb modem but it didn't work. I only got as far as file sharing. Thats all.

No you didn't make yourself clear on the first post. Have you got DHCP disabled on the router? Here is the link for the manual.http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/network/p57205/en/index.htm It works better using that than the help files on the router. Make sure all the wireless are on the same channel and using the same SSID. Uncheck authentication and make sure they are all on the same subnet. You might have to delete your network and start over rather than try to track down the glitch. Also if ICS is working but they can't talk to each other a proxy works something like AnalogProxy .

Un-install all firewall programs (Norton Internet Security, ZoneAlarm,
etc) while troubleshooting the network.

Use only one protocol for File and Printer Sharing. If the network
needs more than one protocol, unbind File and Printer Sharing from all
but one of them. Details here:
Don't connect anything to the wireless router's WAN (Internet) port.
Connect one of the wireless router's LAN ports to one of the wired
router's LAN ports in one of these ways: regular port to uplink port
using regular cable, or regular port to regular port using a crossover
cable. Disable the wireless router's DHCP server. All of the
computers, wired and wireless, will be in one subnet and will be able
to access shared resources on all of the other computers.
--

Make sure that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled on all computers.
Details here:

Enable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP (NetBT)
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoot/netbt.htm

Would it be possible to just get an ethernet modem it would make this alot simplier. Maybe your ISP would switch, mine did for me.

Mike

Cool thanks for help. Will try that tomorrow, I was just wondering if the dell device should be an access point or a gateway. I personaly think it should be an access point but is that right for this kind of setup?

Admiral Michael that what I was thinking, but they just like bought it. They got it like 2days ago Ill see what I can do.

yeah i would scrap the usb modem + router, get a linksys wag-54g from broadbandbuyer.co.uk will ocst under £100 with next day delivary :D

If its only 2 days old you should be able to exchange it. It would be easier to setup and probably faster for performance in the long end. USB isnt really made for this, while Ethernet is!

No you didn't make yourself clear on the first post. Have you got DHCP disabled on the router? Here is the link for the manual.http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/networ...05/en/index.htm It works better using that than the help files on the router. Make sure all the wireless are on the same channel and using the same SSID. Uncheck authentication and make sure they are all on the same subnet. You might have to delete your network and start over rather than try to track down the glitch. Also if ICS is working but they can't talk to each other a proxy works something like AnalogProxy .

Un-install all firewall programs (Norton Internet Security, ZoneAlarm,
etc) while troubleshooting the network.

Use only one protocol for File and Printer Sharing. If the network
needs more than one protocol, unbind File and Printer Sharing from all
but one of them. Details here:
Don't connect anything to the wireless router's WAN (Internet) port.
Connect one of the wireless router's LAN ports to one of the wired
router's LAN ports in one of these ways: regular port to uplink port
using regular cable, or regular port to regular port using a crossover
cable. Disable the wireless router's DHCP server. All of the
computers, wired and wireless, will be in one subnet and will be able
to access shared resources on all of the other computers.
--

Make sure that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled on all computers.
Details here:

Enable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP (NetBT)
http://www.practicallynetworked.com...shoot/netbt.htm

Thanks you so much maggie and everyone else who helped (I bumped after 24 hours if you didn't notice Speedy_b). I got the network works. Maggie I ow you one.

Hey as long as everything is working you have won the battle. I had that router for a few days. It is good for Cable but my ISP is DSL and requires the MTU to be 1452 and that router has no way to configure the MTU.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back