Dell to buy EqualLogic

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Political Access
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2212258,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594

What I wonder is what this means for Dell's relationship with EMC. For a long time now, Dell has been reselling the Clariion line from EMC (often significantly cheaper than EMC Direct). With the purchase of EqualLogic, it makes an interesting relationship. Granted, EMC/Dell Clariion will still be the choice in the fiber world when purchasing a fiber san, but EMC has been pushing the iSCSI capabilities in the CX3 series where EqualLogic has made it's name (in the iSCSI world).

In a move that will help it expand its storage and virtualization offerings, Dell announced Nov. 5 that it will acquire storage startup EqualLogic for $1.4 billion.

The acquisition, which is expected to close either by the end of 2007 or the first quarter of 2008, is also expected to strengthen the Round Rock, Texas, company's channel program after it begins incorporating EqualLogic's technology into its PowerVault storage portfolio.

EqualLogic, which earlier this year announced that it would pursue an initial public offering in the wake of VMware's successful stock announcement, incorporates iSCSI storage protocol into its products.

Storage remains one of the most talked about areas of IT management, and Dell is jumping into the market as more and more storage capacity is being shifted to IP SANs (storage area networks). The iSCSI SAN market is expected to grow from about $600 million in 2006 to $6 billion in the next five years, according to IDC.

One of EqualLogic's products is PS Series SANs, a combination of storage disk arrays and storage management software that use iSCSI, or storage over IP, which is designed to be more cost-effective than traditional Fibre Channel storage systems. EqualLogic employs a virtualized architecture that lifts stored data from disks and allows the storage arrays to share resources and balance workloads.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back