Dell recalls 4.1 million batteries

Dont wanna end up like that dude from Japan or w/e and have your laptop catch fire :p

[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]A Dell spokesman said the batteries were made by Sony Corp.

Haha, Sony is getting crucified in the media right now.
[/FONT]

Can anyone say, "hot potato". :p

Damn, this is like the second time for Dell, isn't it?

Apple had a problem with their lappy batteries a long time ago, didn't they?

./cry I just bought some batteries from Dell, prolly should get out the fire extinguisher.

Haha, Sony is getting crucified in the media right now.
[/color][/size][/font]

haha, its great though. I think its hillarious... I am sure they arnt laughing however. Next we will see a press release from sony saying *batteries manufactured by Indobatt, not our fault!"

There were almost 400 instances of over-heating/leaking/on fire or small exposions of batteries over the past year or so (iirc) per the wall street journal and nyt.

Everyone has issues with a certain type of battery, not just Dell (recall Apple's issues), Dell is just being pro-active about it rather than waiting for disaster to strike.

No one has so far been injured, per the wall street journal report. Apple and others are also taking stock of their line-ups and will act accordingly.

Sony, which affirmed today that its batteries were responsible, said it was “financially supporting” Dell in the recall.

Guess I'll have to wait a while before I purchase a new notebook that is air-travel worthy :(

Also seems likely that companies like Apple will follow-suit if Sony "financially" supports a recall.

A member of Mr. Lear’s staff, who happened to be in Japan at the time of the notebook fire, retrieved the remains. It was taken to a Los Angeles area lab of Exponent, a failure analysis firm, for examination.

The unit worked when it was plugged in to the power cord, despite the fire, which told the investigators that the problem was not with any circuitry or microchips. An X-ray of the battery pack told them the fire was not caused by an overcharged battery because a safety device was still intact.

Rather, Dell said the cause of the fire was a short circuit in one of the fuel cells. It was caused by microscopic metal particles that contaminated the electrolyte, a porous insulator. Dell thinks that the particles were released when the case of the cell was crimped near the end of Sony’s manufacturing process. It was the same problem associated with the 22,000 notebooks that Dell recalled in December.

Sony technicians, who took part in the examination at the Exponent lab, provided additional data on all its batteries, not just those sold to Dell, that suggested that a broader problem in the manufacturing process. “As events trickled in, they seemed to reinforce a conclusion that these Sony cells had an issue,” Mr. Gruzen said. “They don’t show a predictable pattern, which is why we wanted to get them out of the marketplace.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/14/t...56424c51&ex=1313208000&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Its a crap load thats for sure , and I posted this and the news but someone gave the news post to VenomXT on front page I submitted it when I opened this thread.

So what?

The news was released to the WTJ and NYT earlier in the day. Yes, you opened the thread but venom could have got his news elsewhere. It's not a big deal.

my old laptop Dell Insperion 6000 needed to be replaced, like they said before only 20 days.

Very impressive online ordering process. took me all of 2 minutes to get my order going at no cost to me.

-- the best thing is that that battery is going on a year old, and all of us know laptop batters dont like holding a full charge much longer than a year or so and i just gave it to my GF, so now shes got a bran new battery and i wont feel bad if the old one died in 2 months:laugh:

So what?

The news was released to the WTJ and NYT earlier in the day. Yes, you opened the thread but venom could have got his news elsewhere. It's not a big deal.

I sent in the news at the same time not after I opened the thread he sent it in a day later .. I submited the news and have other times as well and I wonder why my submitted news is not posted its a valid question, what the point in having a submit news if people dont use it when you go to the trouble .

Its a crap load thats for sure , and I posted this and the news but someone gave the news post to VenomXT on front page I submitted it when I opened this thread.

Heads up I read lots of news from a lot of places. Before I post I normally check the front page but don’t always check the forums. I didn’t steal your thunder I just saw it too and posted it. To be honest I don’t check news submissions normally. I probably should, but I submit enough I figure someone else will handle it..... but as your time stamp here is important I went and gave you credit . Cheers. :laugh:

PS next time just send me a PM that way its not made into a big deal. There is no need to post in the forum and in the comment section.

Now back to topic.

Anyone contact dell yet? I have 40 laptops that need the new batt's but I am scared to call now. With a 4.1 million recall I have a feeling the wait time is not worth a few engineers losing there shorts if one catches on fire.

Last edited:
Was more to the tune of why news I submitted was not used ...it has happened a few times that I submit news and for reasons unknown the stories get passed over thats all.

back to topic , I found 2 at work that are recalled and will see tommorow what the heck we gonna do about it..2 aint bad but if someone I work with get hurt because we were too lazy to take the steps then that wont go over well.

np.. I just give the bomb laptops to people that deserve them.. now make sure you keep this near your groin at all times.. ... i made a sticker..

Heads up I read lots of news from a lot of places. Before I post I normally check the front page but don’t always check the forums. I didn’t steal your thunder I just saw it too and posted it. To be honest I don’t check news submissions normally. I probably should, but I submit enough I figure someone else will handle it..... but as your time stamp here is important I went and gave you credit . Cheers. :laugh:

PS next time just send me a PM that way its not made into a big deal. There is no need to post in the forum and in the comment section.

Now back to topic.

Anyone contact dell yet? I have 40 laptops that need the new batt's but I am scared to call now. With a 4.1 million recall I have a feeling the wait time is not worth a few engineers losing there shorts if one catches on fire.

https://www.dellbatteryprogram.com

That's where you can check if your battery needs to be replaced. Mine does. The site says it should arrive in 20 business days. That's about a month. Well, it hasn't blown up yet :p

:lick:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back