Dell PowerEdge 700 Server problem

S

slo_hand2

I have a Dell PowerEdge 700 Server that I want to use as a plain pc , another words take all the server features away.
I loaded a copy of Win XP Pro.
I am having problems with the following drivers.

1. PCI simple Communications Controller
2. SM Bus Controller
3. Base System Device
4. USB Controller
5. Eathernet controller

I was told that this computer use to be able to connect to the internet and one day just stopped working.

It seems there are security settings perhaps in the bios that need to be removed.
I uninstalled # 1 / 5 and tried to fix by inserting the CD into the drive but it would not find any of these drives and wants to connect to the internet which I can not do on this PC.
I downloaded dells driver robot, but again it wants to connect to the internet.

Anyone have any ideas?

1. Is usually a MODEM
2 and 3 are probably chipset related
4 and 5 are self explainatory.

Drivers & Downloads

You just need to goto Dell's site and get the drivers. You'll most likely need the drivers under Chipset, Network, Communication, Video and maybe SATA Drives and IDE & EIDE Controllers.

If the netowork controller is damaged you may be able to install a PCI network card.

Thing is I don't use a mode I have high speed DSL!

and for some reason when I d/l the Dell driver download I can't open it on the dell machine?

Even with DSL you have to have an internal or external DSL modem.

A PCI simple Communications Controller usually ends up being a modem so to install the driver use the Modem one on the Dell site.

Maybe try selecting Windows 2003 on the Dell site. Do you get any errors?

Any ideas on how to remove the server features so that it is a plain ole PC with win xp ?

What server features do you mean? I'm confused since you said you put XP Pro on it. It'll be much easier to just get the drivers for it than to, for example, try to put Windows 2003 Server back on and try to turn it into a quasi-XP, which is possible but not recommended, and as I said a lot harder to do and less reliable (in pretending it's XP) than a real XP installation.

Look at the vendor ID (in device manager...right click device > properties > details) of the devices you need drivers for.

Go to PCIDatabase and input the ID to see who made the chipset then find drivers for the device.

OK got all the drivers except the Ethernet Controller

The info on the motherboard is as follows:

Dell
Product # 0P1158
Ver. A00
Ser# CN7170345B0280
Bus Speed 800 mhz.

I went to the dell download site and d/l'd their diagnostic utility, however it does not cover Ethernet controller, all else was good!

I can't seem to find any place to get the drivers for this?

any ideas? I will not use any of the pay sites because this should be available some where without paying!

Go into device manager and look up the vendor id (hardware id) for the controller then use the link I provided to see who made the chipset.
You may be able to get drivers at the chipset manufacturer's site or somewhere on the net.

Example:

Attachments

• id.jpg
    id.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,260
The Dell website has several drivers listed for the PowerEdge 700 Server's ethernet controller. Have you tried any or all of them? If you enter the service tag instead of just the general model information it may give you the specific driver you definitely need under Drivers and Downloads in the Network section.

This is the link I was at, if it works for you. Again, if you try it but with your service tag (on a sticker somewhere on the case, also in the BIOS) instead, it's supposed to come up with information more specific to your exact setup.

The Dell website has several drivers listed for the PowerEdge 700 Server's ethernet controller. Have you tried any or all of them? If you enter the service tag instead of just the general model information it may give you the specific driver you definitely need under Drivers and Downloads in the Network section.

This is the link I was at, if it works for you. Again, if you try it but with your service tag (on a sticker somewhere on the case, also in the BIOS) instead, it's supposed to come up with information more specific to your exact setup.

How is that going to help him when he is installing an OS (Windows XP) that this product never came with and/or is supported by Dell?

The drivers for 2003 may work under XP as well. They may be exactly the same. Your suggestion is good, too. Hopefully he follows your repeated advice this time.

Also, at least entering his service tag (if he hasn't yet) may indicate to him exactly which Ethernet controller his PowerEdge contains. Just another way of skinning the cat.

Let me thank you once again it worked and now all is connecting and running properly, I could not have gotten it without your help and patience so

Thank You!!

Hi slo_hand2,

I am facing the same problem that you started this thread for. I have a PowerEdge 700 with Windows server 2003 and I want to install Windows XP on it. Your last post says you got everything working. Could you please tell me where did you get the correct set of drivers from? Has the system been running smoothly since then?

Basically (for some reason that I dont know about), I have 3 drives - C (8 gb), E & F (both ~100gb), F being completely empty. The C drive is getting full and I want to do either of the two things -

1. Use some partitioning tool that works for Win 2003 and make C drive bigger. That will be the easiest solution for me since disk space is the only reason why I want to have windows on another drive. But I am not able to find any tool like Partition Magic that will run on Win 2003. Ideas?

2. OR reinstall Win XP on F drive since we dont have a license for Win 2003. That came with the desktop when we got it from Dell.

I am a new member here; please excuse me if I am posting my query at the wrong place.

Thanks!

If you follow the instruction given here in reply's you will be successful, that what I did and the advise was right on!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back