Dell Opteron multi-core/cpu servers

Perfect timing as I am in the market for a new server :)

Heh, hope you are in the market at year end buddy lol.

And don't hold your breathe. A 6 month off announcement is a marketing ploy to scare Intel into selling Dell their new generation Server chips cheaper. And I bet it works!

If Dell was serious about this they would be taking orders now for June delivery. The window to break into the AMD server market is now while AMD still has an edge. If the new Intel chips are as good as publicized (and ship on time) there is no reason to offer Opteron based servers at year end.

Either:
1)Dell is bluffing to improve pricing
2) Something hit the fan at Intel and the new server chips will be significantly late
3)Dell is bluffing to trick it's customers into holding off buying HP servers until the end of the year when it can offer competitively priced and performing Intel based servers.

Let's see if the grumpy old fart is right on this one. I expect to be inundated with "I told you so's" if Dell actually ships Opteron servers this year so save them up for me. ;)

LeeJend said:
And don't hold your breathe. A 6 month off announcement is a marketing ploy to scare Intel into selling Dell their new generation Server chips cheaper. And I bet it works!

If Dell was serious about this they would be taking orders now for June delivery.

Yes, why don't you apply for a job at dell and do all their engineering and get all samples and components approved by June.

I am sure Michael and Kevin would love your dilligence on a new product class being built essentially from scratch :cool:

The window to break into the AMD server market is now while AMD still has an edge. If the new Intel chips are as good as publicized (and ship on time) there is no reason to offer Opteron based servers at year end.

This makes no sense. The opterons are going to remain competitive on the server side at least through 2007. There is no pressing need to force something onto the market.

Either:
1)Dell is bluffing to improve pricing

I don't understand what you mean here. WHY would dell announce, and amd confirm this if it was a bluff?

2) Something hit the fan at Intel and the new server chips will be significantly late

And dell would know this how?

3)Dell is bluffing to trick it's customers into holding off buying HP servers until the end of the year when it can offer competitively priced and performing Intel based servers.

Dell already sells plenty of servers, its not like Dell is not able to sell servers. The issue is competitive and at the mid/high-end, the opteron systems simply provide a better solution that customers are asking for and now will receive.

Let's see if the grumpy old fart is right on this one. I expect to be inundated with "I told you so's" if Dell actually ships Opteron servers this year so save them up for me. ;)

Announcements of design wins or new product lines are not as complicated a matter as you are making it out to be.

I don't know how familiar you are with the corporate world or with the way supply channels work, especially in the dell model (which everyone else copied) but your "information" is interesting to say the least.

]Yes, why don't you apply for a job at dell and do all their engineering and get all samples and components approved by June.

I am sure Michael and Kevin would love your dilligence on a new product class being built essentially from scratch

Well, that was a rediculous statement. Dell's R&D dept. has a line of current prototype AMD machines sitting on the shelf at all times. That is how you beat down suppliers. Show them a working prototype and tell them if the pricing isn't acceptable they will force you into marketing it. I do it all the time. If the prototype demo doesn't work then you turn on the factory sample line. If that doesn't work you kiss the old supplier goodbye and go into full production.

I can get production run PCBs in 2 weeks using the prototype artwork, populate the parts and have then tested in 3 weeks. Then you start sampling in the 4th week to your preferred customers. The CPU and bridge chip are the only non-standard part and I'll bet AMD would be happy to shuffle it's supply chain a little to get Dell on board.

There is not really any custom engineering involved. The servers have to run the same old bios, operating system, software and hardware that everyone elses machines do. That leaves little leeway for optimizations. Of course you can still roll in those non-standard proprietary touches that OEMs are so proud of to force sole source buying.

Sorry Michael and Kevin didn't bother to bring you up to speed on how the corporate office works. Announcements are for leverage. Deliveries are for reality.

Sadly the entire computer industry has turned to using "pre-announcements and leaks" to try and drive the market before product is ready. And it is working. The PC industry is currently in a recession because sufficient numbers of people are holding off non-critical purchases waiting to see if last years announcements produce products as good as claimed.

LeeJend said:
Well, that was a rediculous statement. Dell's R&D dept. has a line of current prototype AMD machines sitting on the shelf at all times.

No, actually they didn't.

That is how you beat down suppliers. Show them a working prototype and tell them if the pricing isn't acceptable they will force you into marketing it.

No, this is NOT how you "beat down" suppliers.

I do it all the time.

What you do may be slightly different from what companies with annual revenues about $70 billion do while maintaining profitability AND the best efficiency in the relative industry.

If the prototype demo doesn't work then you turn on the factory sample line. If that doesn't work you kiss the old supplier goodbye and go into full production.

Honestly Leejend, do you think a company like Intel is JUST another supplier?

I can get production run PCBs in 2 weeks using the prototype artwork, populate the parts and have then tested in 3 weeks. Then you start sampling in the 4th week to your preferred customers. The CPU and bridge chip are the only non-standard part and I'll bet AMD would be happy to shuffle it's supply chain a little to get Dell on board.

You don't have a clue about how Dell designs its boards and how the whole process works. It isn't that fast and easy and simple with Intel based products on the server level and Dell has had a working relationship with intel for 22 odd years. Why would AMD be any different ESPECIALLY when the design marchitecture would be completely different?

There is not really any custom engineering involved. The servers have to run the same old bios, operating system, software and hardware that everyone elses machines do.

Have you opened a Dell system lately?

That leaves little leeway for optimizations. Of course you can still roll in those non-standard proprietary touches that OEMs are so proud of to force sole source buying.

As above.

Sorry Michael and Kevin didn't bother to bring you up to speed on how the corporate office works. Announcements are for leverage. Deliveries are for reality.

Michael and Kevin made it very clear internally why the company was going the way it was and there are plenty of detailed press reports which also cover the same gamut of topics.

Sadly the entire computer industry has turned to using "pre-announcements and leaks" to try and drive the market before product is ready. And it is working. The PC industry is currently in a recession because sufficient numbers of people are holding off non-critical purchases waiting to see if last years announcements produce products as good as claimed.

Dell is not nvidia or ati or another IHV with various products coming out. It is a system builder, first and foremost, although it has plenty of other products on offer. How many large system builders do you see making bogus announcements? Please provide some examples because I am clearly not educated on this.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back