Dell Dimension 9100 - Motherboard Replacement

Hmm, gremlins:

-CMOS battery (but only if there have been power outages between events).
-Computer set to hibernate or HD shut down (waking is an iffy proposition)
-Something really freaky and apparently unrelated like a sound, lan card, or speakers.

I highly doubt the CMOS battery would die on two different motherboards (the first within three months, the second within a day).

Hibernation is disabled. The system doesn't even go into standby.

I don't know what the problem is, nobody at Dell does. They don't make the 9100 anymore so maybe I'll score a 9150 out of it. We'll see.

Thanks everyone for your support.

madmatt said:
I highly doubt the CMOS battery would die on two different motherboards (the first within three months, the second within a day).

Hibernation is disabled. The system doesn't even go into standby.

I don't know what the problem is, nobody at Dell does. They don't make the 9100 anymore so maybe I'll score a 9150 out of it. We'll see.

Thanks everyone for your support.

Maybe if they pull a kcnychief, you can score a 9400 notebook :cool:

It replaced the 9100 :smoker:

I don't want a notebook though... =]

Have you updated the SATA driver, Dell has a critical update listed for what I believe is your system dated 06/09/05 file name R99738.exe.

Dell

Could be a powersupply problem also.

I built a system last year for security cameras that were going to be attached to it with two 200G and two 250G drives; I built it a few months early to test drive the system before the cameras and software were installed.
Well after two weeks the boot drive had the same error you’re getting so I swapped that drive with one of the others along with a new cable to have the same error show up again later but this time it showed on one of the other drives when trying to save files (not the first drive this would make three total)

The thing was it didn’t happen all the time or at a set time just random.

I still had a new powersupply and DVD-RW to put in so I thought I’ll come back to the Drive problem later but when I booted there was no Drive problem, been 5 months now and still no Drive errors (all the same drives still in the system running 24/7 recording 26G a day) So I’m going to blame the powersupply as the problem.

Drivers and firmware are up-to-date. Working with Dell Critical Support we have covered every thing (except your power supply suggestion).

Despite my best efforts to have this situation put to bed, it hasn't happened. The on going issues with this computer have frustrated me. Every night the system restarts itself and hangs on a screen that says, "DRIVE 0 Not Found: Serial ATA, SATA-0".

This morning I come in and it's hanging on that screen. After shutting it off for a few minutes and cycling the power it starts right up with no problems. Not so fast...

While I am working on a few things (about 15 minutes later) it hangs and restarts itself. Ending up on the screen that says the above.

I turned it off. Changed the drive to SATA-2 and gave it another go. This time I see some thing completely different, "Error auto-sensing secondary master hard drisk drive." I have never seen this error before.

I tried SATA-1. Same error. I tried to boot to a floppy to run diagnostics, it won't allow that.

The entire computer can not be replaced with a new one because that falls outside of the scope of the warranty. However, they have offered to come in and replace all major hardware, including a second SATA drive/cable at no additional cost so I can setup a RAID 1.

They don't open until 9:00 AM/ET and it is unlikely they will be able to get here today. So I might as well take a half day.

I still stand by my original comment that it could be the CMOS battery, or the mobo itself.

I know you said they are both new, but that means nothing as new hardware isn't always 100% functional :)

Best of luck on your swap, enjoy the half day, let us know how it goes :)

I believe that it is a problem with the PSU. The motherboard was replaced already and I tested the CMOS battery to see if it was "full".

The drive functions well when it is "found". And the diagnostics utility didn't find a problem with any thing else. And the only thing it doesn't test is the PSU.

Be sure to post a follow up I’m interested to see how it turns out.

I know it surprised me to find it must have been my power supply causing me the problems.

Here's what's being replaced this time around...

Motherboard
Processor
Power Supply
and lastly, two new hard drives (one being a freebee)

The parts should be here this morning. I opted to do the install myself. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks for your support.

Let's see, that leaves the case, mouse and keyboard...

If the problem recurs find a cheap touch lamp and plug it into the same outlet. Leave the lamp Off.

If you come in the moring and the lamp is on you are getting power spikes. Same deal suring the day. If it turns on there was a power spike.

Touch lamps will turn themselves on if the power spikes. they make the world's chaepest power quality recorder.

I have a lava lamp in my office. But seriously, you think my APC Back-UPS could be faulty if this continues to happen?

I replaced all the hardware yesterday and setup a RAID 1. I installed Windows and started installing all my software. And as of 6:10 AM the box is still online and running without issues. Too soon to tell in my opinion.

UPDATE (02/09)
Every thing is functioning correctly so far. It made it through the night without rebooting itself. No errors/warnings in the event viewer. We'll see how it goes from here.

Last edited:
:eek:

I ordered a Dimension 9150 - hope I don't go through any similar issues

:eek:

I figured I'd update this thread. Just over a month (and a half) after replacing all major components and setting up a RAID 1 with a refurbished drive that was sent to replace the previously bad drives and a brand new drive that Dell sent at no cost to me -- I had more problems.

Last Wednesday the drive (disk 1 in the RAID) failed. Luckily, the second drive (disk 2) held up.

This time, however, Dell decided to replace the entire system instead. Today I received a brand new Dimension 9150 system. Even better is that the system was configured with better specs than the original; 2x160GB hard drives (had 2x80GB drives) and 2xDVD-RW drives (had 2xCD-RW) just for starters.

Anyway, we'll see how this one goes.

That works out well for you.

I have heard Dell will replace the system entirely if it goes really awry, and your case definitely qualifies for that. The reason you got the 9150 I think is because the 9100 has been discontinued, but don't quote me on that.

I knew that... I was just saying...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back