Dell Desktop - Wont Boot

ameilius

OSNN Addict
i start up the machine, xp pro, and it beeps over and over, long beeps - ram seems fine - its sata hd

whats the beep signifying - and what are some things i can try?

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
Beeps can signify several different things with a Dell computer. I've had instances of the power supply unit and hard drive. It could also be the memory.

If you have spare parts around then try swapping them out. If you have more than one bank of memory take one out and put the other one in the first slow.

Listen for the pattern of beeps, write it down. It'll be in a long-short combination (or all short's or long's).

ameilius

OSNN Addict
it beeps a total of 6 times - fans spin

i dont think its the memory - i swapped them out - well, took one out.... same outcome - took that out and tried just the other - same outcome

its 4 beeps - semi-long - then 2 additional after a brief pause

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
The last time I had this problem with a Dimension 8000 it turned out to be the PSU. I couldn't find any information on the web about what the beeps meant. I got it down to the PSU because I tried a new hard drive and tried swapping the memory.

You could try reseating everything (audio, video, etc.). If you have a warranty I would contact Dell (via phone or web chat) and run the beeps by them.

ameilius

OSNN Addict
tru tru

ill try a power supply now

its weird, cuz i did get it to boot once, showed the windows splash screen - then crapped out

ThePatriot

-=[BOHICA!]=-
Political User
I just had an XPS that did similar...I don't recall the beep count, or even if there was one, but it would not boot until I removed the TV card and the modem.

Not sure if it got hit with a power spike or a lightning strike, but whatever it was took out all the pci cards.

David_L6

OSNN Addict
What model is your Dell. Are you sure that it's 4 beeps, then 2 beeps. Usually it's a series of 3.... 2 - 2 - 2... 3 - 1 - 2.... something like that.

Are there any lights on the back of your computer?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mannashley