Dell 8250 slow multitasking with games

R

rperre

OK, I know it's a dell, I know the videocard stinks (MX420) but the question is:

Will my multitasking get a lot better with playing games if I put 512Mb of RDRAM in it instead of 256MB.

This is the pc1066 RDRAM, and the system is equiped with a 533Mhz frontside but 2.4Ghz P4 and a 80Gb harddrive.

Anyway, How do I get more performance out of this system,

anyone?

Richard

Sure XP loves Ram and it shows I have used XP on as little as 128mb sdram pc100 <<< old ibm aptiva

Used a duron 1100 and had 256 pc133 ram went as high as 512mb on this one and it loved it ....

Now I have an Athlon xp1800+ and 768mb of DDR2700 and I walked up from 256mb adding 256mb ..and it loved it and again another 256mb and wow ... so yes add more ram 256 is not imho really enough

If you're wondering if games will get better with more RAM the answer is maybe. If you really want better gaming get rid of that pitiful video card. I can't believe a system like that would come with such an extremely horrible video card. Spend 150-200 dollars on a ATI 9500 or a Nvidia 4200 and you'll see quite a bit of difference in your system.

can't believe it either

I'm already looking for an other videocard, probably one of the Ti4200 will be good in here, you can get those for as little as 111 dollars.

The question was however, will the multitasking be better while gaming if I put more RAM in it or will the videocard upgrade do the whole thing for me.

In another system at home I have a XP2100+ working with 256Mb DDR400 and a 128Mb Ti4200 at 8X AGP, that system also can be a lot better I think by just adding more RAM,

Your comments please!

Thanks guys (and girls)

Richard

definatly more RAM

My 32 meg GeForce 2 gts pro with 512meg sd ram
runs games better than
my 128 meg GeForce 4 Ti4200 with 256 meg DDR 2100

:cool:

As I said above add more ram your going to love it ..... it makes everything so much faster smoother ....... I never have less than 550 mb of FREE RAM .. unless I do some serious crunching ( video)

other than that I swear by it RAM makes everything so much better ...........

More RAM it is

OK, thanks I'm going to put more RAM in the system and evaluate!

I hope 512Mb is enough for now!

Richard

installed the RAM and yes it's better

Hi,

I got the RDRAM in today and installed it directly into the computer, it's blazing fast now, and the multitasking is much much better.

Still some hickups in gameplay, but I know that's the stupid videocard DELL put in this system. Still don't know why they put such a ****ty card in such a computer. I guess they expect this 8250 to be only used in office's or something. So next is a nice videocard, still aiming for the Ti4200.

Thanks for the help, I'm smiling again, now I see what I paid the money for!

rperre

Hey thats great I knew you would see a really nice improvment with more RAM ...... good stuff !!!;)

5gb of ram wont help with a game that hogs the CPU (most do)

512 is minimum spec for me to run XP anyway,

Yes he was at 256mb thats just not enough ... and sure after a certain amount of RAM it will level off ..... even bottleneck but it was a safe bet that 256mb was not doing the job on XP. I use 768mb ddr 2700 and its fine ...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back