A

agfa

Is there anyway one can delete the following folders:

Movie Maker
MSN
MSN Gaming Zone
NetMeeting
Online Services

and any other folder that windows installs under the program files folder..

as i'm running a minimal installation and do simply not want these functions or folders.
how can i take them out, each time i try deleting them i either get program/folder in use or cannot delete.

very very annoying any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Use the command at the bottom. That should do it.

Close all open applications.
Open a command prompt and navigate to the directory with the offending files.
Then open the Task Manager and click on the Processes tab. select "explorer.exe" under Image Name. Click "End Process".
That will leave you with only the command prompt and the task manager running.
Now at the Command Prompt, its time to delete the file(s). Using the DEL command. Example c:>\movies\DEL movie.avi
Now the files are deleted, go to the task manager and click on the Applications tab. Click the "New Task" button. in the dialog, type explorer.exe and click OK.

For folders the command is 'rd'.

Welcome to the forums btw. :)

thanks for the fast reply Hipster.

You see i have tried this method, with closing all applications incl.
the explorer task in the tsk-mgr without success.

And i def. do not have any applications or anything which would have any connection with the folders im trying to delete.

These problems as far as i can recall never occured in any previous windows versions, that a program is currently in use and such..

very very annoying..

im considering if there isn't like a bootdisk.com disk with all the needed applications to run from dos, to overide this feature.b

thanks for the quick response again

do boot to a dos like interface you could boot from the xp cd and choose the recovery option.. then try to delete them from there... or you could try booting into safe mode (hit F8 before windows starts to load... right after the bios finishes its thing)

Hipster - thanks for sending him to my little proggy... but it only removes empty folders... the folders he wants to delete have stuff in them so my prog won't delete them...

Didn't realise that. If the folders have files in them would it be safe just to delete them? Might make something else go screwy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back