Deleting Folders

M

manzikert

I'd be grateful for any advice.
I have some files and folders which will not be deleted however hard I try, the error message being that they are in use by another program. I have tried to delete them using the command prompt with explorer not running, but they will not go away. Any ideas would be appreciated.

try to log off and then log on again.
After this you can delete the files most of the time.

Deleting

Cheers - I've tried this but am left with a number of stubborn ones which refuse to go away. I've also got a folder which has decided that it's read-only and won't change its mind whatever I do. Great. Thanks anyway!

You can boot to the recovery console and remove them that way. For information on the recovery console look here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307654 .
You could also figure out what is holding those files in use, it is probably some spyware or file sharing software like Kazaa. Run AdAware or Spybot to check out what spyware is running on your machine and shut down any file sharing programs you have running and try and delete them again.

TTYL
Ken

Maybe you can delete the folders in DOS.

Boot to DOS with a bootfloppy and try it there to delete the folders.

Hope this works :D

You will probably not be able to do it with a DOS boot floppy. It really depends on the file system if it's FAT32 then you can use a 98 startup disk but if it's NTFS you will need to do it with the recovery console which is kinda like the DOS but not really.

Ken

You could always use ERD Commander (Winternals),

great tool, boot dead systems and repair stuff like this usually not a problem, good ntfs support.

Don't forget that to remove files from a prompt screen the command is 'del'. To remove folders it is 'rd'. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back